Non fault accident query

My idiot of a neighbour kindly reversed into my P&J yesterday. He has accepted liability and told his insurer. Do I have to tell mine as it is a non fault third party accident?

Am worried it will put my premiums up.

Similar happened to me earlier this year.

You'll get lots of different opinions, but my conclusion was that it was best to call them to let them know "for information only" - just in case the other party's insurer captures your data and it all appears on a central database. Just make sure you stress that the other party's insurers have accepted liabity and you are not making a claim.

I renewed a couple of months later and my premium had gone down.

Nick.

I had this happen to me too when a colleague reversed into my old car.

she accepted full liability etc and i told my insurers 'for info' but i think it did put my premiums up slightly and i wasn't even in the car!

And i believe you have to declare when asked 'any accidents in the last x years?' etc as they ask for non fault accidents too. (may be wrong on this but i was advised to do so)

Better off informing your insurers, I'd rather pay a few extra quid if it came to the crunch ( :whistle1: ) rather than they find out later on and cancel your insurance, after an accident when you need your insurance.

My partner has had two non-fault accidents in the last couple of years, and as a consequence our premium on the Boxster was about £40 more.

Seems utterly ridiculous to me that there should be any penalty whatsoever to the party not at fault, but since when was logic and common sense used by insurance companies?

It's a shame that your neighbour reported it, and didn't just settle directly.

If he intends to claim from his insurance, then they will definitely need to know the complete details of you and your car.

Perhaps ask him how he intends to recompense you as a first step?

A no claims bonus isn't a 'no blame' bonus as most claims are handled by your own insurer, unless as in this case there is an ackowledgement of blame. That's why insurance firms encourage us never to admit we are at fault!

Shame your neighbour reported it rather than just settle, but, now that he has done so then you have no option.

Of course you will retain your full no claims bonus but the sneaky insurance companies do raise your premiums - which is not the same thing, the view of insurance is that after having one accident you are more likely to have another - and No, I don't see how they view it this way either - its unfair and clearly you had no input in the accident - so just how they view you are more likely to have another is bewildering.

Even though your premium on renewal may stay the same as this years premium you have to remember that car insurance is going down - so the same premium would still mean they have increased your overall premium.

And, it will continue to affect your premiums for 3 years - so, the key factor here is that on your estimate of the damages you need to add a monetary figure to compensate you for the three years of increased premiums - usually its about £30 a year - So add £90 and if you have legal cover then tell them you intend to claim ongoing damages on the basis of "negligence" - Your neighbour did something he shouldn't have done and those actions have caused damages (Damages are a legal term for anything of a monetary value above 1p) - and your increased premiums are damages.

At least the neighbour has come clean and done everything correctly so there is a balance to be struck when adding costs if they are to remain 'good'neighbours!

Thanks for all your relies, much appreciated. Will call them and play the for your info route.

Glyn, how I can I add and see the £90 when it is done via insurance and will all be settled by them?

udm, that's why I asked if you had legal cover on your policy, they recover the damages for you, in some cases they shy away from doing this and then your only course is to get confirmation from your insurer that your premium has been raised - and the reason for this (the accident) then approach your neighbour and show them the proof of the increased premium because of their actions- they then have a choice to either pay you directly or inform their insurer that you intend to claim.

Of course they may resist - but you then have the option to take it to the small claims court.

I accept the action doesn't make for good neighbourly relations but at the end of the day why should you be out of pocket for something you had no input in.

insurance actuaries regard you as statically higher risk (of a further accident) having been involved even in a no-fault claim. I think this comes down to the fact that fault is often too easily attributable to one party when in fact there is a combination of actions/decisions that lead to an accident. For example the classic running into the back of another car at a roundabout is alway attributed to the following car even if the lead car has 'gone' and then stopped. This type of hesitation often leads to the following car anticipating the lead car has actually gone. Who's fault is it? Well clearly the following car for anticipating and not looking properly but on the other hand had the lead car not hesitated it would not have happened either. Hence they are not at fault but not entirely blameless imo.

My idiot of a neighbour kindly reversed into my P&J yesterday. He has accepted liability and told his insurer. Do I have to tell mine as it is a non fault third party accident?

Am worried it will put my premiums up.

Check out Total Porsche Assist at www.revolution.totalporscheasist.co.uk . If its not your fault, Total Porsche Assist will deal with the 3rd party insurers direct and you wont need to claim on your own policy. This membership scheme is normally £24 a year, but is free courtesy of Revolution Porsche... See http://www.BoXa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=61166&hl=http://www.BoXa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=61166&hl=

Hope this helps and good luck

Archived