How To: Restore your Exhaust Tip(s)

cj225

Saw this being talked about, so thought I'd weigh in with a guide.  Apologies for image rotation, both Postimage and Imgur refuse to accept a few of the photos in landscape format and convert & lock them to portrait <_<

The Subject

So this is the exhaust we'll be using for the guide - it's a very early Janspeed jobby, I'd estimate it's old enough to have left school as JanSpeed themselves suggested it's not been manufactured for a "long time".  It's similar to the cheap chinese ones you get off eBay, but has a crossover pipe which (hopefully) reduces drone.   For those who've read my project thread, you'll recognise this exhaust was on the car when I bought it, but got swapped for a standard jobby through the renovations.

5vYW8K7.jpg

Tools and Sundries

- Dremel (or similar) with a polishing mop/wheel
- Autosol Metal Polish
- Wire wool
- Wheel Cleaner (I used VW Rim Cleaner: 000.096.304.96304)
- Microfibre cloth
- 1500 grit wet/dry or similar for scratched/stubborn finishes

How To

First off, I soaked the tips in wheel cleaner to let it start to break down the carbon deposits.  The tips were both corroded and heavily carbon stained, making them look almost painted black in areas.  I put on some hand protection and readied the wire wool.

VudSWz9.jpgRqAIxX4.jpg

Next, you'll want to start scrubbing.  Keep applying more wheel cleaner, using it as almost a lubricant whilst you scrub with the wool.  If your wire wool and wheel cleaner are good, you should start to get a dull but clean silver finish.

jj1OilQ.jpg

Keep at it to as much detail as you want - you could clean the whole silencer if you wished (done a little for demonstration...)
wwSjTMq.jpgd5OI0NK.jpg

Next up, we'll need our dremel and Autosol...

2Ynluhp.jpg

It's best to spread some polish over the area you want to use first...

9nWJrvW.jpg

Then work with this, giving you a reasonable idea of what you're working with..

nxqodeG.jpg

The next stage involves a bit of of a detailed polish, just due to the condition of the finish. You could decided to flat off with some very fine wet/dry here, if there are signs of scratching or corrosion still.

I applied the polish to a small area, working in a zig-zag fashion on a very slow speed, then made a further pass at a faster speed.

rOTgEjt.jpgMQsoV6x.jpg

This process was repeated, working up the speeds, whilst being thorough with each stage...

RMcnIJ3.jpg

With this process you'll see improvements, but don't be put off by having to do a few areas more than once...

etkYoqs.jpgsu3DmZ1.jpg

Before long, you should start to see progress...

hf9mCvm.jpg

Repeat the above steps until you get to a point you're happy with...

20160813_105303_HDR.jpg?5

oWulhxY.jpg

hKVkFGU.jpg

Could also spend an inordinate amount of time of the inner section, but in my experience it lasts no time at all.

6 hours ago, TrickeyTattoo said:

Would you be able to do this without taking the exhaust off? Don't have the facilities to do it myself and don't want the charge of taking it to a garage.

Yeah, it just won't be as easy I guess.

I only did it with the exhaust off as it was already off and sat in the garage, but it was much easier that if it had been on the car.

Yours is a bit different to the second generation 986 boxster janspeed, you've done a nice clean up job on it thou, it's quite satisfying getting tired parts looking like new again.

P1010059.jpg

Archived