Broken PSE Exhaust Valve Actuator

khushy

So, in 95,000 the only thing that has ever gone wrong with the Spyder is a seized PSE valve actuator on one side.

Porsche say that the actuator is not available to customers and wanted to sell me either the kit £1500 or a whole new system = £3000 :-)

Bit of research and found a 997 part that looked the same - went back to Porsche with the part number, who duly ordered the part on a non-return basis for £83. Tried my best, without a ramp to remove the 3 tiny nuts that hold the old one in place. Got two off but not the third, so took it to my local Bosch dealer (Performance 3000 in Yeovil who are ACE) and £24 later - its all fitted and working perfectly.

For clarification, the ball and socket had seized, the actuator itself was fine, but I broke the actuator shaft whilst trying to split the ball off the socket.

MY ADVICE - KEEP YOUR BALLS GREASED and don't believe anything your dealer tells you LOL!

The part number for both sides is . . . 997 111 680 00 

Do you know if this is the same part for the 986?  I have a PSE but one of the vacuum actuators is broken.  The three retaining studs were broken when I bought it, which meant it was rattling around.  When I removed it, the shaft snapped aswell.

I don't suppose you took a picture of the part?

I also think the vacuum pipe for the one on the other side isn't connected to anything at the moment. 

6 hours ago, witko999 said:

Do you know if this is the same part for the 986?  I have a PSE but one of the vacuum actuators is broken.  The three retaining studs were broken when I bought it, which meant it was rattling around.  When I removed it, the shaft snapped aswell.

I don't suppose you took a picture of the part?

I also think the vacuum pipe for the one on the other side isn't connected to anything at the moment. 

send us your email address - mail@kapz.com and I will send you all the pictures photos and info

Thanks Khushy for the pics and info. 

It does look like the 997 part is the same as the 986 one as far as I can see.  It's a bit pricey though.  I'm tempted to see if I can open the actuator and put a new shaft in along with some bolts in place of the studs.  There's nothing to lose I guess as my current one is just sat in a box.

So instead of buying a new actuator, I took the cheapskate option of fixing my current one.

The shaft had snapped at the base of the ball joint socket, and all three studs were snapped.

I bought an M5x0.8 die nut, 2 ball joint sockets, some M5 threaded rod and some sleeves with an internal M5 thread.  It came to about £20.

I still have to work out a way to mount it since the studs are snapped.

The end result is this:

IMG_20160824_173016.jpg

Archived