Boxster Roof Rattle when down ?

runner

Morning,

Anyone experience roof rattle on both sides of the car, coming from the roof, only when down ... vibration noise, quite annoying volume actually, you can hear it over the engine, less so obviously if radio on too .. directly behind your right ear if driving or left ear if passenger seat ... continuous.  If you shut the roof, when closed all perfect ?

Trait of the design or fault ?

Are you sure it's the roof?  I've noticed the door glass rattles when I close the doors with the roof down, but are nicely cushioned by the roof when it's up.   No annoying rattles when driving with roof up or down :-)

31 minutes ago, Pandy said:

Are you sure it's the roof?  I've noticed the door glass rattles when I close the doors with the roof down, but are nicely cushioned by the roof when it's up.   No annoying rattles when driving with roof up or down :-)

Hi Pandy,

yes definitely the roof, as it was behind me and to the right whilst driving so not door related ... Do most Porsche Boxster drivers just experience silence from roof ... ? 

Thanks, 

I've got a rattle too - but it's when the roof is up!

As you say just behind your right ear - I haven't spent time trying to see if I can fix it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's the side 'flaps' that lie flat with the roof open (down) and are upright with the roof closed (up).

I would suspect yours is coming from these flaps too.

I would be interested if you find a solution.

Gordon.

I get a bit of a rattle/buzz with the roof UP too. Silent when down. I think it's to be expected to some degree on a soft top due to all the moving parts etc, never going to guarantee rattle free especially when things wear and stretch slightly.

Archived