Holding Brake

runner

When you read the manual ... it infers, like my Merc, that if you wish to engage it ... it does so automatically, by pressing the pedal down till stationary ... have to confess, I've only read this section once and the manuals not with me presently ... but I don't find that it does 'auto' engage ... but that I can either keep my foot on the brake pedal at lights or engage the hand brake RHS (electronic brake) ... any thoughts on how it has to be engaged 'automatically' please ?

Coming out Bmws the boxsters a little difficult to predict when it does hill start and when it doesn't.  I think the gradient setting Porsche used is a little harsh, meaning slight hills are ignored, mine only engages it on pretty steep hills.

from memory you need to be on a hill with a five percent gradient, deploy the clutch and press the brake pedal to engage it.

Cool thanks Rufus, that makes it clearer ... I'd assumed (wrongly) that it would on a similar level to the Merc ... depress brake when stationary (foot pedal) and it would just put the HOLD on ... but clearly it's only a hill thing ... so the foot on the brake works for me ! ;o) ...

Sorry I mean press the clutch not deploy it, so clutch and brake pressed down and a decent enough hill makes it work. 

But yeah it's not half as good as the BMW / Mercedes equivalent, in previous cars I just took it for granted, in the boxster it's a bit hit and miss on the roads near me as they are all very slight hills. 

Archived