Park or Position Lights

Blumr2

HI All, Just new to the forum and Boxster ownership.

I have Litronics and both of my park / position lights are out and need replacing, wondering has anyone out there replaced with LEDs or higher wattage H6w type of bulbs as these are the little halogen ones.

I have a BMW with Angeleyes and they have the same bulbs but i upgraded them to either 10w or a 20w that is avail. 

Guess my question is will the housings take a 20w bulb and not melt any bits if anyone has tried this ? or what suggestions are out there.

Thanks New Owner

If you mean the front sidelights then yes I have CREE led ones in my Litronics. I would not increase the wattage myself.

I think he's referring to the bulb directly underneath the main litronic projector beam. I personally never replaced the bulbs there because I like the look without the bulb underneath, they don't really serve any useful purpose IMO, and they never check if that bulb works at my inspection station. However, if you need to replace them, I have seen folks use the CREE LED bulbs which give out a white light. You can find them on evilbay if you search under CREE LED fog light 30w.

I'm 99.9% sure that you will fail the UK MOT if you don't have the sidelights. Either way the H6w Cree LED fit and work fine in my car. They even light up if your headlight switch is dodgy and the main lights won't work (but obviously don't put out much on the way of actual light but enough to get you home as an emergency!)

Thanks Guys, they are the parking lights and yes would fail an MOT if not working. I have attached a pick for reference.

The std lights have the W5W wedge bulbs but the litrnonics have the better / brighter H6W. Just these in the BMW you can replace with 10w and 20w that are avail and i have a spare set of 20w sitting here doing nothing, maybe bright for park lights but would work.

I was curious as I've seen some headlights and holders melt a bit if too hot where as the BMW they are encased in a chrome reflector that directs the beam into the angle eyes.

Guess if enough air space they should be OK but... Maybe source a set of LED's.. like these with heat sinks

http://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/product-eng-6058-H6W-434-BAX9S-10xSMD-5630-Car-LED-Light-Bulb-CanBus-WHITE.html

Also have you fitted LEDs without any CANBUS issues or errors ? My BM you can tell the ECU that it has LED.s ( already have led tail lights factory ) but that way it does not give errors, do you know if the Boxster has any settings like this or have works OK..

Cheers 

H6W - 20W.jpeg

I would use the fog lights if my main beam were to not work, in order to get home, but yeah, you prob won't pass your MOT if you don't replace them. I am not affected by that. 

I posted these again last week as what i have been using http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331202201661

Or, at least I think it is these as they are saved in my watch list from when I bought them a couple of years ago and the details may have changed.

Thank you, ill have a look at those the LEDs would be less heat and brighter, i may take the headlight out and check fittings at that has offset pins and some H6W are straight pins.

Archived