Spacer Question

Masnamerif

14 hours ago, MichaelAC said:

I'd not use spacers that aren't hubcentric  or you are quite likely to get the wheel wobble. Also, increasing your front track will change the scrub radius which can completely mess up the feel and handling.

I tried them on my TT (only 10mm) and the effect on the steering was awful, it was very clear that there is a lot more to the geometry that it affects than simply the track. However, most on the TT forum didn't notice the difference and they were running bigger spacers than I was. I'm quite sensitive to how my car feels and spacers on the front really has a negative effect in my experience.

The 17inch front wheels on the 986 are quite tucked in though so I'm not surprised people do it, I think I may move to 18 inch wheels instead myself. 

Most people fit spacers and then don't do what you should do after any steering/suspension alteration and get the alignment checked. Say you put 5mm spacers on the front and 20mm on the rear, the track on the back is now 30mm wider to the front than before so the alignment is going to be out of whack to what it was and the handling will change. On something fairly mundane you might not notice as much but on something where handling is part of it's make-up you WILL notice in some way. 

30mm might not sound much and in reality it isn't but over a few meters front to back on car that can mean a couple of degrees out of whack. 

1 hour ago, PaulQ said:

How will spacers change the alignment.? 

Anything that alters your track or height is going to change the alignment slightly so it's always worth checking out. Seeing as your tracking gets aligned front to back (or at least it does if you go to a decent place) it will need adjusting slightly to take the spacers into effect. Always worth checking out for what it costs. 

Tbh though it depends on how crazy you go with spacers; put something like a 5mm spacer in there all round and you'll be fine. Tbh most people don't bother and go happily on their way with nothing to worry about and if it was your average motor i wouldn't bother. For me though when a car is based around it's handling and how well it corners i like to know that it's set up right, personal preference i suppose. 

If anyone is genuinely interested in this, and you'll have to be to get through this clip, then watch the Youtube video below. This guy has done quite a few of these explaining the detail on different elements of suspension affects:

1 hour ago, MichaelAC said:

If anyone is genuinely interested in this, and you'll have to be to get through this clip, then watch the Youtube video below. This guy has done quite a few of these explaining the detail on different elements of suspension affects:

Great video, enjoyed it. 

Archived