987S Gen 1 to Gen 2 2.9

moneypit

I'm idly looking at the prices of Gen 2 3.4s, however the 2.9s seem to be good value used. Has anyone gone from a Gen 1 3.2 to a Gen 2 2.9, and if so, how different are they in performance terms.

I'm on my 2nd Gen 1 3.2 and for some reason it seems much quicker than the 1st one I had. I don't want to take a step back from that if I can avoid it.

Have the same dilemma as you, though not coming at this as an upgrade. 

Ive heard it said that a 2.9 with a PDK is as fast as a manual Gen1 S in the real world. 

I imagine that a PDK will do a better job of keeping a hi-reving engine running in the power band better than most humans could. 

I had this dilemma but a drive of the torquey 3.4 swung me. Its a close call though - I think that maybe in hindsight the PDK was the better car - but then you gun 3.4 towards the horizon and its sooooo nice....

I say drive both and make your own mind up.

Thanks for the replies.......there'll be no way on Gods green earth I'll be having a PDK, regardless of how nice they are, stuff like that just leaves me cold. No offence intended to those who have them and like them, but it's just not my thing.

Which ultimately probably means that if I do it, I'll have to dig a bit deeper for the 3.4. I'll maybe try and test drive a 2.9 manual, and go from there.

I think you'll find the 2.9 a bit gutless by comparison to the older S.

The power might be pretty close on paper but the way it's delivered, it won't feel as beefy.

But you should test drive and see, we're all different, you might like it. :)

I moved from a 997 325 BHP to a  987 2.9 at 255 BHP. There is no way it has the umphh of the Carrera and you have to plan overtaking and keep the motor spinning but in the real world it has more useable performance without risking your licence on a regular basis. It is great fun as opposed to mind blowing performance  

Archived