Window drop

AMacdonald

I noticed over the weekend that my windows weren't dropping when the roof was closing. I reckon it was the latch microswitch and it hasn't come back after a bit of exercise.

However, now that I'm watching out for it I've noticed that the windows only drop when the roof is about half-way to being fully closed. My brain tells me they used to drop as soon as the roof started closing, as they do as soon as it's unlatched for opening but I can't for the life of me be certain.

Is my brain letting me down?

Again?

• 3 weeks later...

Still haven't had a chance to do anything concrete about this but I have noticed that the dashboard roof warning light stays off until the windows suddenly drop at half-closed. I'm assuming it's the mechanism microswitch at fault. The switch doesn't appear to be in the mechanism gearbox under the clamshell so I suspect it's inside the drivers side B-pillar. The Bentley manual is a little vague on the matter. Anyone ever been in there?

If its a facelift car there is a switch built in to the roof gearbox on the left side. If its the early type the switch was mounted on the B pillar mechanism. I am surprised that the roof will even move with the dash tell tale lamp not illuminated.

Thanks, I'll dig into that. Mine is a 2003 facelift. Definitely nothing in the gearbox under the clamshell - that would have been too convenient to check.

The drop still occurs reliably - it's just not at the start of the process and around the half-way point instead. I've had to disable my one-touch box until I'm absolutely certain the windows will drop every time but that's the only real inconvenience.

Are you sure you are looking at the transmission gearbox on the left side and not the motor in the middle? I don't think you can see where the wire goes into it without removing the fabric water gulley.

I was looking at the motor (?) centrally located under the clamshell. The Bentley manual says that very early 986 had the microswitch in there but later ones are in one of the B-pillars. Theres nothing in the motor box. Thanks for the direction though

There are a number of switches in the whole mechanism. The early car had a switch mounted on the motor housing to detect the position of the clamshell but this was deleted on the later model. 

There is another switch on the B pillar but this was moved into the left side transmission gearbox later (it sounds like that's what you will have)

If you haven't seen it, there's loads of info here https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga'03-'04glasstopandframeona'97

Archived