not a smooth pick up

alank

Hi, seeing if anyone has any ideas about my little problem ( the boxster) .  When I am in traffic and am going from rolling along to putting my foot down a bit , I get a small jolt/rough pick up when depressing the accelerator. The car runs fine and ticks over ok, just annoyingly jolty when driving slowly. am running some Redex through at moment but not really doing anything.  Thanks  Alan k

Could be the dual mass flywheel on its way out if it is from full offload to full on load....

I get a double thunk sometimes... I took it to Autostrasse Essex yesterday and my engine mounts look fine. Mine has done 174k miles. Dual Mass flywheels are £422! And the clutch needs to come off to get to the flywheel... I can transition the throttle gently for now.

Hope that helps... Sort of..

Is the accelerator pedal stiff or does it move freely and easily? My pedal was very stiff and it made traffic and precision pedal control quite difficult, doesn't sound like your issue but thought I'd suggest it all the same!

9 hours ago, MakeTeaNotWar said:

Is the accelerator pedal stiff or does it move freely and easily? My pedal was very stiff and it made traffic and precision pedal control quite difficult, doesn't sound like your issue but thought I'd suggest it all the same!

My pedal is stiff and juddery/feeling, how did you sort yours? I need to strip it out and clean up the hinge I think.

Directly behind the pedal you will feel a thin rubber cover, I pulled that cover away from the pedal and sprayed in lots of WD40 into the area, I did the same at the other end of the cover to be sure... probably not the best grease to use, silicon spray may be more suitable, but it sorted out my very stiff accelerator that was causing me to lurch at times, its very fluid now and has been for 3+ months.

48 minutes ago, MakeTeaNotWar said:

Directly behind the pedal you will feel a thin rubber cover, I pulled that cover away from the pedal and sprayed in lots of WD40 into the area, I did the same at the other end of the cover to be sure... probably not the best grease to use, silicon spray may be more suitable, but it sorted out my very stiff accelerator that was causing me to lurch at times, its very fluid now and has been for 3+ months.

I gave my pedal hinge a spray about a year ago with WD or silicone spray (can't remember). Did bugger all though. Mines a fly by wire 3.2 S, so can't be cable/mech issue.

Mine is a 2001 3,2S and has a cable initially from the pedal. I know it doesn't end up at the throttle body though!!

Takes only a few minutes to get the pedal assembly out then you can strip it down for a proper clean 

1 hour ago, golfprorich said:

Mine is a 2001 3,2S and has a cable initially from the pedal. I know it doesn't end up at the throttle body though!!

Takes only a few minutes to get the pedal assembly out then you can strip it down for a proper clean

Mine will be the same. The pedal runs a potentiometer. I just want a smoother progressive feel & movement.

I suspect our 3.2s have the same pedal, it's not the hinge at the base of the pedal that matters but there's something behind the rubbber housing, it wasn't until I got in there that the improvement came.

A disassembly might be the best course of action.

Archived