Air conditioning Re gas

jamesbilluk

Interesting reading this thread and a few others. Lately I have detected a whine type of noise from the ac on my 986. It still seems to work well enough but it would appear that the whine noise could indicate that the system is beginning to need a regass? It has not needed doing in my 5 years of ownership, in which time it has been used quite a lot - so that is probably quite good going I think.

Hoping that is all it is:).

23 minutes ago, el 3.2S said:

Interesting reading this thread and a few others. Lately I have detected a whine type of noise from the ac on my 986. It still seems to work well enough but it would appear that the whine noise could indicate that the system is beginning to need a regass? It has not needed doing in my 5 years of ownership, in which time it has been used quite a lot - so that is probably quite good going I think.

Hoping that is all it is:).

Absolutely the gas contains oils....it just re-gassed the system on my 208GTI  on the bank holiday weekend as the compressor was making some light noise (car is 4 years old and I have owned it from brand new), the system had never been touched.

Quick top up with the STP EZ Chill from Halfords and its silent and cold as ice again......still got loads left in the canister too so its not £50 per car.

Last year I actually managed to diagnose an issue with the wifes 65 plate Mazda where the compressor seal actually failed and leaked gas out....topped it up with a bit to get it running then watched it drop pressure while running over 5 mins. Thankfully it was covered under the warranty still so didn't cost us a penny.

6 minutes ago, Nick_McUK said:

Absolutely the gas contains oils....it just re-gassed the system on my 208GTI  on the bank holiday weekend as the compressor was making some light noise (car is 4 years old and I have owned it from brand new), the system had never been touched.

Quick top up with the STP EZ Chill from Halfords and its silent and cold as ice again......still got loads left in the canister too so its not £50 per car.

Last year I actually managed to diagnose an issue with the wifes 65 plate Mazda where the compressor seal actually failed and leaked gas out....topped it up with a bit to get it running then watched it drop pressure while running over 5 mins. Thankfully it was covered under the warranty still so didn't cost us a penny.

Sounds encouraging. Did you require any hoses, connectors or gauges to go with the top up can?

5 minutes ago, el 3.2S said:

Sounds encouraging. Did you require any hoses, connectors or gauges to go with the top up can?

Yeah you need to get the hose/nozzle thing.

This is the gas:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/air-con/ez-chill-auto-air-conditioning-recharge-gas-r134a

This is the trigger/hose thing:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/air-con/stp-air-con-reusable-trigger-and-gauge-for-gas-r134a?request_type=bestseller

Unless your system is totally empty the can will last a good while as its got a proper valve on the top...oh and you get a £10 rebate when you return the old canister (i normally get another new can) last one i had was 2 years old at least. Just give it a good shake if its been stood for a while and away you go.

Its also R124A standard so its compliant to the latest standards too.

15 minutes ago, Nick_McUK said:

Yeah you need to get the hose/nozzle thing.

This is the gas:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/air-con/ez-chill-auto-air-conditioning-recharge-gas-r134a

This is the trigger/hose thing:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/air-con/stp-air-con-reusable-trigger-and-gauge-for-gas-r134a?request_type=bestseller

Unless your system is totally empty the can will last a good while as its got a proper valve on the top...oh and you get a £10 rebate when you return the old canister (i normally get another new can) last one i had was 2 years old at least. Just give it a good shake if its been stood for a while and away you go.

Its also R124A standard so its compliant to the latest standards too.

The latest low co2 gas is R1234YF which is fitted to all cars after 2017 the one you quote is good for pre 2017 but not the latest. Cant understand why you would do it yourself for more money.

of course the garage machines completely remove all the old gas and replace with new

1 minute ago, MIkeyv60 said:

The latest low co2 gas is R1234YF which is fitted to all cars after 2017 the one you quote is good for pre 2017 but not the latest. Cant understand why you would do it yourself for more money.

of course the garage machines completely remove all the old gas and replace with new

Because my Boxster is a MY2006 my 208 GTI is a MY2015 and one canister is enough for me to do all the cars as and when I need to top up...for the cost of the canister it works bloody well and saves me money.

• 9 months later...

Oh, I didn't have any problem with my car, I was absolutely satisfied. But for some time I had noticed that the conditioner did not work very well. I think it is a common problem for many types of cars. When the weather began to heat up I observed that it doesn't do its function. What a pity! It took some time to find someone that would help me, but I knew that after a month the situation would get worse. On the other side I discovered a good aircon service on socol.sg that restore my air conditioner from house, they provide a very useful services which are necessary for the maintenence of a conditioner like chemical wash and other.

Archived