Which Fault Code Reader

Tom163

Hey all,

I am looking to pick up a fault code reader for my year 2000 986 Boxster 3.2 S but I was just wondering which are actually any good and work on the Porches?

I was not looking to spend alot and even just the basic fault code reading/clearing function would be enough. I have been shown this one and the price seems ok if it would work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autel-Autolink-AL319-EOBD-Reader/dp/B007XE8C74

Regards

You need to careful buying these as many of these code readers only work on certain makes, or certain fault codes, e.g. ecu and not ABS or airbags. Also some will just read codes and not clear them. The only way to be sure is to contact the manufacturer or supplier. I found they usually respond very quickly.

Having said that, Autel make some good code readers. I ended up getting an Auto MaxiDiag Elite set up for German cars only. I bought it off eBay from Hongkong for about £100 18 months ago and saved myself a lot of money compared to Amazon etc.  Mine reads and clears fault codes for the ecu, ABS, airbag and transmission, which I have confirmed with my 986S and Audi S4 tiptronic.

For generic engine codes etc a cheap ELM327 bluetooth clone for peanuts off ebay and the free torque android app will do the trick. I have had good success with the Chinese durametric clone cable and software with access to the DME and airbags/alarm though other control units don't seem able to connect.

If you want a standalone handheld unit for not a lot of money to check and clear CEL engine based codes then I've used my D900 on both my 986. Available on ebay and Amazon. About 20 quid.

Thanks all for the help!

22 minutes ago, edc said:

If you want a standalone handheld unit for not a lot of money to check and clear CEL engine based codes then I've used my D900 on both my 986. Available on ebay and Amazon. About 20 quid.

Is it this one EDC? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bositools-Quality-universal-Scanner-version-black/dp/B00JF7IRTU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1504617308&sr=1-1&keywords=d900+fault+scanner 

I was looking for a handheld all in one unit indeed. 

Archived