Bodyshop recommendation and quotes around London + bumper replacement

pquadro

Hi

I am looking for a bodyshop recommendation to correct the below deep scratch

L0EoQFO.jpg

Do I need to think a full respray or can it be fixed without having to redo the car entirely? Has anyone experience on prices?

I am also thinking of replacing the rear bumper myself, currently there's a seal greay from Steve strange on ebay...not surre if the seal grey would look different from the the body?

pK9Q6jy.jpg

Doesn't really look too bad to me, is there more damage to the bumper that you're not showing us?

For these I would be temped to use a 'Chips-Away' style service or similar to touch up.

A decent bodyshop wouldn't suggest you repaint the whole car for that scratch, they may well suggest repainting the whole panel and blending it into the neighbouring panels though.

16 minutes ago, Tex24v said:

Doesn't really look too bad to me, is there more damage to the bumper that you're not showing us?

For these I would be temped to use a 'Chips-Away' style service or similar to touch up.

A decent bodyshop wouldn't suggest you repaint the whole car for that scratch, they may well suggest repainting the whole panel and blending it into the neighbouring panels though.

Thanks

How much money are we talkign about?

11 minutes ago, pquadro said:

Thanks

How much money are we talking about?

What for, the Chips-away thing? sorry I've never used them, but have to assume it would be considerably cheaper than a bodyshop respraying the whole panel?

If you are set on taking it to a bodyshop, then where in London are you (it's a big place you know), I use a place in Bromley, which isn't the cheapest but do good work, and have old fashioned panel beating skills. (although wouldn't be needed for this job)

If you are further East then there is a place in Northfleet that JohnSyn knows and has recommended in the past.

If you are north of the Thames then I cant help as I rarely venture up there, my maps says 'There be beasties here' although it might be out of date now ;):lol: 

Absolutely can be resprayed to match exactly, mine was and it had much worse damage. I'm in the US so no price comparison. I'm assuming that there is no damage to the structure behind the bumper cover which is purely cosmetic as the protective stuff is behind it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/10/2017 at 9:35 AM, the baron said:

Bumper and scratch can both be done by one of the mobile repairers such as Chips Away.

Why are you replacing the bumper when it only has a little mark?

Well that sign on the bumper under the plate is actually not a scratch but it's broken. You can press into it. Me being ignorant of such matters I thought it requires replacement. But if it can be fixed and look like new, much better.

I have a feeling the damage goes under the plate and the previous owner put the plate lower to cover the damage rather than making good of the number. 

On 27/09/2017 at 12:38 PM, Tex24v said:

What for, the Chips-away thing? sorry I've never used them, but have to assume it would be considerably cheaper than a bodyshop respraying the whole panel?

If you are set on taking it to a bodyshop, then where in London are you (it's a big place you know), I use a place in Bromley, which isn't the cheapest but do good work, and have old fashioned panel beating skills. (although wouldn't be needed for this job)

If you are further East then there is a place in Northfleet that JohnSyn knows and has recommended in the past.

If you are north of the Thames then I cant help as I rarely venture up there, my maps says 'There be beasties here' although it might be out of date now ;):lol: 

I am in East London around Liverpool Street area. Could you message me Bromley and Northfleet locations please

On 10/10/2017 at 7:58 PM, mikefocke said:

Absolutely can be resprayed to match exactly, mine was and it had much worse damage. I'm in the US so no price comparison. I'm assuming that there is no damage to the structure behind the bumper cover which is purely cosmetic as the protective stuff is behind it.

Thanks!

I think people have been commenting on the basis that it was just paint damage. It now appears that something has punctured the bumper, so a quick paint job will not last as the edges of the break will fail. Looks like a new bumper will be the simplest solution unless you want to get handy with some fibreglass.

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

I think people have been commenting on the basis that it was just paint damage. It now appears that something has punctured the bumper, so a quick paint job will not last as the edges of the break will fail. Looks like a new bumper will be the simplest solution unless you want to get handy with some fibreglass.

Cheers - yes that's what I thought too!

A bumper has a cosmetic cover but the important parts are underneath and, in general terms, consist of a bar across the front and 2 shock absorbers.  Those are things you want to work the next time they are needed. Get the car on a lift and look at them and see their condition.

If OK, pull the cover off (if that is all that is needed) and take the cover to a good body shop and they can do amazing things.

The hole in the bumper could be plastic welded I think.  If you can find someone who is a decent plastic welder it should save you a lot of money over a replacement.   I've had a Mercedes bumper that was literally split in half top to bottom plastic welded and resprayed for a small fraction of the replacement cost.   

Archived