Ims Guardian

Tipster

Hi all, 

Newbie here, not long into my 986 experience, how good can life get...vroom vroom

Just thought I'd ask on opinions on the ims guardian, does it work in time, I see Performance Porsche will supply and fit for £400..money well spent, or should I get the alloys done instead..

Welcome, well done for making the correct choice in what car to buy! Regards what to do now..Unless the alloys are bent/cracked hey would be the last thing on my list. Addressing the mechanicals and indeed the IMS would be infinitely more sensible

I would have thought that the IMS guardian is a bit of a waste of time - by the time that there is enough metal to trigger an alarm its already circulated through the engine damaging lots of components anyhow.

10 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

I would have thought that the IMS guardian is a bit of a waste of time - by the time that there is enough metal to trigger an alarm its already circulated through the engine damaging lots of components anyhow.

This,

if is does trigger, what do you do? Replace the bearing for £££ and then worry about whether the metal bits already circulating in the engine will cause further damage to main/big end bearings etc. For me that would be just as worrying as potential IMS failure.

£400 should be nearly enough to remove the gearbox to have a look at the bearing, which will give much more reassurance if the seal is intact and not leaking. If it is then paying the extra for replacement is money well spent. Maybe combine with a clutch change if old one is well worn.

What year 986 is it and what mileage?

Archived