987.1 3.2S or 987.2 2.9

perleman

Heart would say 3.2S gen 1 fully loaded (this is what I bought), but head would say 2.9 gen 2.  However, they should be massively different in terms of cost, circa £10-£11k for the 3.2S gen 1 and £16-17K for the 2.9 gen 2.  The tax wouldn't worry me as, whilst it is more expensive, the running costs are lower and the risk of failure almost eradicated.

If I had £16-17K it would be a 2.9 gen 2 every day of the week, although it would have to have PCM3.0 and upgraded wheels. 

Cheers, James

• 3 weeks later...

Re the Gen 1 3.4 Box versus Cayman, they built far, far (far!) more gen 1 3.4 Caymans than Boxsters.

For starters, they really cranked out the MY2006 3.4 Caymans - 16,000 in one year. Production dropped off pretty dramatically after that. Also remember that they only built the 3.4 Boxster for a short period - it remained 3.2 litre for a while after the Cayman was launched.

Net result? You see far more Caymans failing than Boxsters because there are far more Caymans out there to fail. It's exactly the same engine in both cars.

Anyway, re the original question, my vote would also be gen 2 2.9.

For me it always had to be an S.  Call me a tart, but I simply couldn't live with the tiny, black caliper non-S brakes.  Even the S brakes look lost behind 19s.  For that reason alone (ignoring all others), I would never look at a 2.7/2.9.

I also feel that the 3.2 is just barely powerful enough in this world of torquey turbo diesels and light pressure turbo hatches.  Another tick for the S.  I think the S would really come alive if it lost 100kg and gained 20hp.  As std, its the fairly flat tq curve that makes it fast quickish.  The top end is good, but nothing really special IMHO. 

My very honest $0.02.

I too have a brake fettish and have always found myself wanting the S.  But I'm beginning to wander why now that I have tried a few cars.  I've recently been down sizing my wheel diameters and with good results.  The standard thinking is more power, bigger brakes, bigger wheels etc.  Does this make you happy?  I often see people mention that their had more fun in their [insert small low powered car] than they do in the [insert modern high powered car] and it makes me think.  On paper the S may be quicker but does it really make any difference in the real world.  I'm sure my 911 is slower than my Boxster on paper but I still enjoy driving it.  Same road, same driver - ME - and there is still fun to be had.  I'm sure a modern 335d could embarrass most cars on here but that's not the point is it?  We hope to have more fun driving the slower car or we would buy the 335d.  Unless its all about image and looks and then that's a different conversation.

1 hour ago, ATM said:

I too have a brake fettish and have always found myself wanting the S.  But I'm beginning to wander why now that I have tried a few cars.  I've recently been down sizing my wheel diameters and with good results.  The standard thinking is more power, bigger brakes, bigger wheels etc.  Does this make you happy?  I often see people mention that their had more fun in their [insert small low powered car] than they do in the [insert modern high powered car] and it makes me think.  On paper the S may be quicker but does it really make any difference in the real world.  I'm sure my 911 is slower than my Boxster on paper but I still enjoy driving it.  Same road, same driver - ME - and there is still fun to be had.  I'm sure a modern 335d could embarrass most cars on here but that's not the point is it?  We hope to have more fun driving the slower car or we would buy the 335d.  Unless its all about image and looks and then that's a different conversation.

I think there's a lot of truth there, it's fun to be able to play with the limits on public roads without being in license losing territory or putting yourself and others at high risk. At the extreme, I'd imagine that driving an F1 car on British roads would not be very satisfying, similarly for the current crop of supercars, where I think the ownership experience is more about image, looks and owning a beautifully engineered piece of machinery.

I like my 107 because you can drive it to the limit on a trip to the shops and play with the front wheel traction on roadabouts all while going at about 20mph.

I've only got a 2.5 tip and it is a bit sluggish around town due to a lack of mid range torque and the tendency of the box to change up quite early, so can see the advantage of the more torqy engines in the range. But if I'm out to enjoy driving, I'll just leave it in manual and keep the revs between 4-7k rpm and it's a joy to drive.

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

I think there's a lot of truth there, it's fun to be able to play with the limits on public roads without being in license losing territory or putting yourself and others at high risk. At the extreme, I'd imagine that driving an F1 car on British roads would not be very satisfying, similarly for the current crop of supercars, where I think the ownership experience is more about image, looks and owning a beautifully engineered piece of machinery.

I like my 107 because you can drive it to the limit on a trip to the shops and play with the front wheel traction on roadabouts all while going at about 20mph.

I've only got a 2.5 tip and it is a bit sluggish around town due to a lack of mid range torque and the tendency of the box to change up quite early, so can see the advantage of the more torqy engines in the range. But if I'm out to enjoy driving, I'll just leave it in manual and keep the revs between 4-7k rpm and it's a joy to drive.

Me and my mates often dream about trying some genuine motorsport but the costs scare us. Recently one of us has been gushing about racing little Citroen fwd boxes as its the cheapest motorsport known to man with cars costing 700 quid pre prep and control nankang tyres costing 20 each. Are they fast - no. Is it fun - F yeah.

• 2 weeks later...

Off to see a 987.2S tomorrow!

Higher miles than I go for normally at 80+

But new clutch & dmf fitted, contribution towards 4x PS4's and it's cheap

Still getting it inspected but doubt the bloke would reduce based on that, more of a yes/no decision helper

Id expect to have to fix a few bits over time but prob wouldnt spend the £5k-£8k premium being asked for lower milage cars that have spent most their life sitting around

42 minutes ago, perleman said:

Off to see a 987.2S tomorrow!

Higher miles than I go for normally at 80+

But new clutch & dmf fitted, contribution towards 4x PS4's and it's cheap

Still getting it inspected but doubt the bloke would reduce based on that, more of a yes/no decision helper

Id expect to have to fix a few bits over time but prob wouldnt spend the £5k-£8k premium being asked for lower milage cars that have spent most their life sitting around

Sounds good, I prefer a car that's covered a decent mileage and the clutch/DMF is a nice bonus. Be interesting to see what the inspection brings up.

I won't jinx it with a link - seeing it tomorrow & have the option of buying it there & then or sending it to a good indi for inspection.  I can be a bit lazy and impatient with these things TBH but will try to temper myself!

I nearly bought a members car on here in Sept but had to pull out which understandably annoyed the poor bloke (sorry!), I posted on his for sale thread too that I had bought it so don't want a repeat of that

Car looks nice though.  Seats are non-sport that's the only thing I'd want.

Going to take it to Gert for the GT exhaust treatment if I do buy it, plus stick the Zunsport grilles on + get the sprint booster to make it feel a bit more alive.  And aftermarket xenons of course.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, villaman said:

there currently a nice gen 2 S on Autotrader for  < 14K ...looks to good to be true ?

The blue one that's touching 93k miles?

Incomplete servicing and no service book, needs new tyres all around. Basic spec. All in all a bit of a dog, and priced accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2017 at 2:53 PM, edc said:

Because the later 2.7 has the bigger but not foolproof IMS bearing and has no bore score issues.

Apologies for the hijack but I have a 58 plate 987.1 2.7 so presumably also benefit from this?

i had been thinking about chopping it in for a 2.9 987.2 to get PDK and at least 21st century ICE...

Archived