Oil leak what's this please?

Leesy69

The 2 black squares at the top are the coilpacks. Everything below is smeared in oil. There looks to be more oil round the right side but that could be the angle and flash.  the coilpack in the middle of the pic suggests a potential leaky o ring or damaged spark plug tube. 

That's the cam cover you are looking at. Often oil in this area is due to leaking spark plug tubes which have o ring seals each end which can fail. Not sure if that's the case here as the oil seems to be coming from the top right of the photo. Here's a piccy to give some perspective

https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=980&bih=643&ei=QLH8WcP9D8bHwALsg7zYDg&q=boxster+cam+cover&oq=boxster+cam+cover&gs_l=img.3...3324.8217.0.8849.19.19.0.0.0.0.212.1598.14j2j1.17.0....0...1.1.64.img..2.12.1251.0..0j0i10k1j0i30k1j0i5i30k1j0i24k1.0.a5EoUCtTwhM#imgrc=uvqRHB4ulPGgOM:

Thanks for the replies. Just for clarity my car is an 03 3.2s. I've read that Porsche updated the spark plug tube on the MY to a metal version that is now part of the cylinder head cover. So as mine is leaking is it more likely from the cover itself rather than from the spark plug tubes? If the cover I guess I'm best just leaving it well alone?

On 03/11/2017 at 6:17 PM, edc said:

The 2 black squares at the top are the coilpacks. Everything below is smeared in oil. There looks to be more oil round the right side but that could be the angle and flash.  the coilpack in the middle of the pic suggests a potential leaky o ring or damaged spark plug tube. 

What that man said, but first do what the poster above suggests,

"clean it down and de grease, have a look again after a week and you will have a better where it is leaking"

Archived