Radio help required

Billfromfife

Hi guys

im looking for a bit of advice regarding replacing the standard Porsche cdr23 fitted to my 2003 facelift. 

Im aware that it has the MOST bus connection and I have 2 questions.

1/ Is there a harness adapter available that will connect an aftermarket unit or will it require cable cutting?

2/ If I cut the cables, will this impact on any other systems due to the fact that the radio will no longer communicate with the cars ecu?

Any help or comments appreciated 

thanks 

Bill. 

I hacked around mine when I fitted a Pioneer nav unit , never had any CAN issues.

There are adapters but I rearranged the wires in the Pioneer ISO plug.  It's a bit busy behind the unit with all the new hardware like the traffic receiver and additional wiring so any reduction is good.

There are no security concerns regarding the MOST system, there may be a wire from memory that is grounded via the CDR23 chassis (which you can connect to any negative source) but that's it.  The only problem I had was alternator whine which was coming from the new amplifier, got a decent Alpine unit and not had any problems since.

If you don't have reverse sensors, I would definitely fit a reverse camera while you are installing the head unit.  I can recommend Pioneer nav units (I have the now discontinued 970BT) and anything that can Bluetooth music stream.

Cheers Rick

im going to fit a camera. I got one with the media player. 

Ill have a go at it shortly. Lots of confusing and contradictory posts online about this issue. I never thought I would be hesitant about fitting a car stereo as I've done so many in the past. 

Wish me luck. Hahaha. 

Have a look at these on Renntech, you will probably need to register first:

https://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/106-2003-2004-boxster-avic-d3-install-with-most-bus/

https://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/426-cdr23-replacement-in-a-986s-2004-retaining-the-most-fibre-optic-system-and-harman-kardon-amp/

alas too big to upload on here.

Good luck, not a difficult installation especially if you buy the adaptor and retain your current amp.  It's a bit rubbish though.

Archived