Genuine Porsche Coolant Question

Tom163

Hey all, I am needing to top up my coolant but unsure what is currently in there. Is the genunie Porsche stuff a green colour does anyone know?

This is what I am refering too: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Coolant-Protection-Concentrate-With-Silicone-Additive-1-Ltr-Genuine/222593872645?epid=620102392&hash=item33d3a0f305:g:gzYAAOSwf4ZZeIWA

Thanks in advance.

Everything I have read about coolant in the 986 says it should be the OAT type and always seems to be pink in colour. Do you have any service history to indicate who changed the coolant last?

After a quick Google, it looks like all VW group cars use pink OAT coolant, but Honda use green OAT coolant, so potentially you have Honda OAT coolant in there, but that seems a bit random unless it was serviced by a Honda garage.

If you're loosing coolant, you need to identify where it's going and fix the fault. This is likely to involve draining the coolant, when you can then flush and replace with the pink OAT stuff which you can get at ECP for much less than £20/litre.

I think I'd just top up with de-ionised water for now and look to get the leak checked out, as you are not supposed to mix different types. Obviously if it's taking litres of water this will weaken the mixture substantially, but a litre will do no harm in a system with 20 litres.

How about taking it for one of those free 'winter checks' that places like Halfords do? They may be able to test what type is in there or where the leak is.

Yes, pink coolant is what you need, if you feel like spending  on the Porsche stuff its £11.26 a litre + vat from your OPC

If you want to save £££ just go to ECP and buy  523 77 0482 at £4.99 a litre inc or 523 77 0481 a 5 litre bottle for £17.99

50/50 with demineralized water will be good to -36c

Thanks guys. I have further researched this and it seems the old genuine Porsche coolant was green and they changed it to orange in 2005 when the 987 Boxster came out (both OAT with no silicates though). I have stacks of history but cant seem to notice any coolant changes done by Porsche as thats the only garages its been to up to yet.

I think I will just use the special water to top up as I am investigating the super slow leak as its gone from max to mid way in 4 months so its nothing bad at the minute.

Cheers

So that might indicate that the coolant hasn't been changed in a long time. When you do identify the leak it would be worth doing a full flush and changeover to the pink stuff. Assume you have the updated coolant cap with '04' at the end. Any condensation inside the boot area?

On 17/11/2017 at 1:37 PM, Nobbie said:

So that might indicate that the coolant hasn't been changed in a long time. When you do identify the leak it would be worth doing a full flush and changeover to the pink stuff. Assume you have the updated coolant cap with '04' at the end. Any condensation inside the boot area?

I can only assume that also bud. I am not sure about the coolant cap to be honest I will have to check, were there problems with older caps?

Thanks

8 hours ago, Tom163 said:

I can only assume that also bud. I am not sure about the coolant cap to be honest I will have to check, were there problems with older caps?

Thanks

Yes, the original ones with part numbers ending in '01' had a tendency to leak, leading to condensation in the boot area.

13 hours ago, Tom163 said:

Thanks

My understanding is the the 001 cap did not pressurise the system enough so the coolant heated quickly and the "steam" escaped the cap and condensed on the boot lid. The 004 cap holds the pressure so less "steam" escapes the cap. The downside is the added pressure can find other places of weaknesses in the system for example the header tank or a hose without clamps.

9 hours ago, Boxob said:

My understanding is the the 001 cap did not pressurise the system enough so the coolant heated quickly and the "steam" escaped the cap and condensed on the boot lid. The 004 cap holds the pressure so less "steam" escapes the cap. The downside is the added pressure can find other places of weaknesses in the system for example the header tank or a hose without clamps.

I will wouch for this. It is exactly what has happened to me with the header tank :(.

Archived