Car won’t crank

911S

Help needed. Turn the key but the engine won’t crank,had shown no previous signs of failing  

All dash lights on

New battery 

Have tried both keys  

Can’t  even hear solenoid clicking

Its a tiptronic so tried the lever in neutral and park

Its a 2004 2.7

Any suggestions please.

Faulty ignition switch?

Cheers, Baggers.

Could be a faulty selector switch. I had this once, but luckily just took it out of park and put it back in and the switch sorted itself and it never recurred. Have you tried pushing it with a bit more force into Park? May free off switch. I think it's a cable from gearstick to the selector switch at the side of the gearbox, so it might just need the cable adjusted. If the selector is U/S the part is about £150-200.

Does the park light come on the dash when selected? The self diagnostics will often throw up flashing D and 4 when there is a fault with the selector from memory of issues posted on here.

Have tried wiggling gear selector whilst key is in crank position but didn’t look to see if light was on dash,so will check. 

Could it be an immobiliser issue?heard you can do a reset but how?

thanks for all responses so far

Ignition switch, steering wheel sensor, gearshift sensor.  Wiggle the steering wheel around a bit and likewise the tip and see if that helps. Always did for me. About one in 50 it would hang up but wiggling while I tried the switch always got it going.

So here's an update.

The gearbox selector arm from the cable bracket to the gearbox had come off at the gearbox.The plastic ball joint had split 

so the gearbox wasn't in park though the selector was,hence not starting.

gonna order new arm tomorrow and grease everything up.

Result

Thanks for all your help.

Archived