iMS dates for double row bearing

niceone

It's not strictly by date, rather by engine production.

See here:

Cheers, Baggers.

37 minutes ago, golfprorich said:

Just to add to the mix, mine is a 2001 3.2

When I did my clutch I didn't replace the flywheel so I couldn't see the part number - however it looked like the shallow cover which would indicate the single row IMS.

It would be interesting to check your engine number against the info via the link I posted above - to see if it's totally accurate.... :wacko:

Cheers, Baggers.

Those who do hundreds of these bearing replacements a year know that you don't depend on anything but a visual inspection of the flange shape and bolt size.

Even the PorscheUS  lawsuit settlement lists of numbers are know to contain inaccuracies.  (I'd trust Pelican even less.) The difficulty is you can only tell by removing the transmission (though one mechanic has used a very tiny borescope).

The foremost sellers of replacement bearings suggest inspection before ordering parts as they are not returnable. It is that uncertain.

12 hours ago, golfprorich said:

Just to add to the mix, mine is a 2001 3.2

When I did my clutch I didn't replace the flywheel so I couldn't see the part number - however it looked like the shallow cover which would indicate the single row IMS.

I did mean double row in the last sentence :wacko:

18 minutes ago, golfprorich said:

I did mean double row in the last sentence :wacko:

Good. Makes sense now. :)

Cheers, Baggers.

The question of which bearing is inside your engine is probably the number one question asked when people read this article. Porsche's electronic parts catalog lists the following engine numbers as the cutoffs for the various engines:

Engine Number Model Bearing Type
Up to engine # M 651 12851 Boxster 2.7L M96.22 Double Row Bearing
Up to engine # M 671 11237 Boxster S 3.2L M96.21 Double Row Bearing
Up to engine # M 661 14164 Carrera 996 3.4L Double Row Bearing
From engine # M 651 12852 Boxster 2.7L M96.22 Single Row Bearing
From engine # M 671 11238 Boxster S 3.2L M96.21 Single Row Bearing
From engine # M 661 14165 Carrera 996 3.4L Single Row Bearing
All 2005 Boxster 987 (maybe some 2006 models) Single Row Bearing
All 2005 Carrera 997 (maybe some 2006 models) Single Row Bearing
Maybe some 2006 Cayman models Single Row Bearing

However, as mentioned previously, practical experience has determined that these numbers are not 100% correct.

All 2.5 engines are dual row. Only the early (BUILT '99 - early '00) 2.7 and 3.2 engines are dual row. The only guaranteed way is to look at the bearing cover. 

I've done some digging and would suggest that any 2.7 or 3.2 engined cars on a W plate or later is probably single row. V is likely to be dual row (but the switchover occurred around here) and T or earlier is most probably dual row.

My January 2000 registered ('99 built) 2.7 is dual row - confirmed during clutch replacement last year.

On 18/01/2018 at 10:52 AM, pslosarc said:

My 3.2X Reg (November 2000) is dual row too..

Interesting. Wonder if it was lying about for a while and registered late?

There are three generations of bearings. There were transition years.  Porsche was known for reaching blindly into the parts bin in transition years. There are replacement engines. There are rebuilt engines.

When someone who has done thousands tells me something, I listen.  When someone else who does hundreds confirms it, I believe.  Unless you know the date of manufacture, that the engine is original to the car and that the car was not built in a transition year, you can't be sure, I trust them, not some Internet tables, not some lawsuit. I have talked at length with these people for over 10 years. Sometimes for hours at a time while they were doing their research and testing. I have followed this issue on 7 forums on three continents almost daily for longer than that. When claims contradict reality....reality wins.

I wasn't aware that early 2.7s were dual row. I had assumed it was just the 2.5s and very early 3.2s. 

Tinterweb engine number range tables (i.e. gospel) say mine (3.2 reg'd early 2000 on a W-reg) was a dual row....

....which the PO had swapped out for an LN uograde at clutch time in 2015.

So only about 18mths to go before my car lets go and falls apart like a clown car. :P

Cheers, Baggers.

12 hours ago, mikefocke said:

There are three generations of bearings. There were transition years.  Porsche was known for reaching blindly into the parts bin in transition years. There are replacement engines. There are rebuilt engines.

When someone who has done thousands tells me something, I listen.  When someone else who does hundreds confirms it, I believe.  Unless you know the date of manufacture, that the engine is original to the car and that the car was not built in a transition year, you can't be sure, I trust them, not some Internet tables, not some lawsuit. I have talked at length with these people for over 10 years. Sometimes for hours at a time while they were doing their research and testing. I have followed this issue on 7 forums on three continents almost daily for longer than that. When claims contradict reality....reality wins.

No doubt so...a useful guide though prior to finding a good reason to upgrade the IMS (i.e. clutch time)..

Archived