My boxster sounds like a Lamborghini

Buzzlt

Well a few months on and although I love the exhaust it is a little annoying the way it looses vacuum sometimes overnight or if I don’t use it for a few days. This is not great for going to work at 5am in the morning. So I have been thinking about a mod for a while using a pump so I can prime the system before starting. Initially I tried a washer bottle motor in the hope it might pull some vacuum - it didn’t.  Tonight’s little project seems to work so I am really happy. It needs some tidying up as has only been thrown together to see if it works. I may actually do away with the vacuum to the engine all together if it does  but can’t test it till tomorrow as had a couple of beers to help my thought process.

My neighbours may even start talking to me again soon we will see.

https://flic.kr/p/2bit9mU

Well it all works just fine.

https://flic.kr/p/2bit9mU

This is not the finished picture as I still haven’t tidied it up but I found that the small vacuum pump pictured is perfect as it seems to have an integrated non return valve. This means that it can also be connected to the engine vacuum as well on the end port (not shown connected in the picture). This means that as long as the car is running and the closed mode is selected it will not loose vacuum allowing the valves in the exhaust open if I only use the pump.

An added bonus is that the whole system powers down after the interior lights go out so will not drain the battery. For some reason it is all still live when the car is started.

So basically I now how what I want. A car that I can start quietly at 5am and noise whenever I feel like it. Quite why the vacuum valves on the exhaust were not fitted the other way round I don’t know but I expect there is a reason.

Total additional cost about £12 plus a bit of wire and solder. 

Sounds excellent and a really nice job.  I am intrigued to know more about any potential weaknesses with the vacuum system you mentioned if the car is left a few days etc?  I have just purchased a used Dansk valved exhaust for my 986 S and it comes with all of the related vacuum kit and electrics etc.  I am going to get my local indie Porsche garage to fit it for me.  My car is only a weekend and dry day car so sometimes it is a few days or even a few weeks between drives out.  With a vacuum system as long as I put it back into valves closed (standard mode) before I put it away in the garage will I have any issues if the pressure is lost as I assume it just uses vacuum to open the valves on the system?  Thanks for any advice and a great sounding system you have there ???

This is how mine should sound as this is the exact system I have bought on the previous owners car ?

Excited to say the least ??

https://youtu.be/RckpsU7WhHc

9 minutes ago, Saxosim said:

Sounds excellent and a really nice job.  I am intrigued to know more about any potential weaknesses with the vacuum system you mentioned if the car is left a few days etc?  I have just purchased a used Dansk valved exhaust for my 986 S and it comes with all of the related vacuum kit and electrics etc.  I am going to get my local indie Porsche garage to fit it for me.  My car is only a weekend and dry day car so sometimes it is a few days or even a few weeks between drives out.  With a vacuum system as long as I put it back into valves closed (standard mode) before I put it away in the garage will I have any issues if the pressure is lost as I assume it just uses vacuum to open the valves on the system?  Thanks for any advice and a great sounding system you have there ???

This is how mine should sound as this is the exact system I have bought on the previous owners car ?

Excited to say the least ??

https://youtu.be/RckpsU7WhHc

It just depends which way round it is configured. If the vacuum is used to hold the valves closed (quiet on mine) then over time it is very likely to loose the vacuum and the valves will end up open. It’s not really a problem unless like me you use the car regularly at about 5am. After a second or two the valves will close. I don’t really understand why they didn’t make it the other way around other that it ensures the valves get operated regularly so won’t get stuck.

As far as I can tell it does sound almost exactly the same in open/ closed modes even though the box / boxes configuration is completely different. Happy days !

My mod works a treat and I am really happy with it as I expect are my neighbours. ?

5 minutes ago, Buzzlt said:

It just depends which way round it is configured. If the vacuum is used to hold the valves closed (quiet on mine) then over time it is very likely to loose the vacuum and the valves will end up open. It’s not really a problem unless like me you use the car regularly at about 5am. After a second or two the valves will close. I don’t really understand why they didn’t make it the other way around other that it ensures the valves get operated regularly so won’t get stuck.

As far as I can tell it does sound almost exactly the same in open/ closed modes even though the box / boxes configuration is completely different. Happy days !

My mod works a treat and I am really happy with it as I expect are my neighbours. ?

Ah okay thanks that okay doesn’t sound too bad then as I imagine the valves on mine will work the same way.  Thanks for the reply and nice sound on yours.  Mine should hopefully sound fairly similar ?

• 1 month later...

Archived