My boxster sounds like a Lamborghini

Buzzlt

My exhaust let go tonight in the way home. As some of you may know Lamborghini also make tractors and that’s the one it sounds like.

After the manifold and post cat there is a flange with 3 bolts and 2 of these have let go. They look like they are crimped somehow but have rusted away. I have managed to bodge it for now as is still preferable to driving her Mercedes to work tomorrow morning. 

Has anyone tried the designtek switchable exhaust?

I have been looking at these for a while and looks like it might be very well made.

I was also looking at TVR’s but have to drive through a housing estate every day at 5am so bought the Porsche.....

I need something that is pretty quiet generally but sounds good when you want it to.

Maybe if they didn’t salt the roads so much it would have been good for the next decade.

Not sure if anyone has bitten the bullet on DesignTek switchable. Common choice here is either PSE switchable or Carnewal back box, not switchable but is quiet at low speed but snarls at higher revs so would probably not wake the housing estate.

...much.

Hi there

A few of us have got the Topgear switchable/valved exhaust. It looks identical to the design tek and suspect a bit of rebranding going on.

But yes great quality and fit, and the sound is fantastic in either mode.

Closed mode is slightly louder than standard, similar to Carnewal.

Open is proper sports sound, great sound and tone with out sounding boy racerish. 

I haven't noticed any drone in either mode and have had mine fitted 12mths ago.

Lifetime warranty that's transferable with the car, mine was supplied and fitted for under £1000?

@Menoporsche yep I know what a 981 sounds like with PSE as I drove my mates.

That’s why I want something similar !

Dunno what one of those would cost but this soon after Christmas cost might be prohibitive? 

@Lonewolfgjp good info thanks, that was the other one I was looking at last year. I think they are a big different as looks like the designtek ones have very nice heat shields.

Sounds great in the videos.

Decisions decisions.....

As it’s the bolts from the cat that have actually sheared might have to look at replacing those as well as they are pretty rusty. I have no problem replacing the bolts but would need the manifolds off the car.

So also any info on manifolds appreciated... cat or no cat.

Topgear do manifold s with sports cats for about £600 a pair, my cat back came with the bolts you need and the gaskets.

The is member on here who posted a video on YouTube, it is 3.4 Cayman but it gives you a good idea of the sound as the Topgear video doesn't do them any justice. 

As for the design tek perhaps they have changed them but i know when i was buying mine the online pictures were exactly the same even down to colour of the silicon hoses and control gear?

9 hours ago, Buzzlt said:

As it’s the bolts from the cat that have actually sheared might have to look at replacing those as well as they are pretty rusty. I have no problem replacing the bolts but would need the manifolds off the car.

I'm not sure what model of Boxster you have but the 3 three flange bolts normally rust away and are easily replaceable without removing manifolds

8 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

I'm not sure what model of Boxster you have but the 3 three flange bolts normally rust away and are easily replaceable without removing manifolds

It’s an 06 3.2s, I picked up a selection of M8 nuts and bolts today so I can try and replace them and am going to have another look. Any clues as to how they come out ? They didn’t  look like they have any heads on either side but as I couldn’t find anything suitable to replace them with yesterday I did not try to remove them.

Well they appear to be welded on one side and the other side is rusted to oblivion. 

I have a lot of tools angle drill etc but the only way I can see if doing a proper job is to remove the manifold and cat. Then drill out what’s left of the fixings. 

Thats the bad news, good news is that it can wait and I can do more exhaust research..... :-) Poss go to the southern meet on Sunday to see if anybody has something worth listening to.

I had a similar night mare on my 986, someone had actually tacked the nuts on! The tech used the cutting gear and knocked the bolts out, they were a spline fit on the 986. Not sure on the 987, i just let Topgear do there thing ?

986 are notorious for this and I guess the early 987 was the same engine.

Not sure what delights I'll have in a few years with the 3.4, whether they changed anything or just used the same self-destructing set-up.

12 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

Mine have been noted on the recent service as being rusted & I also reckon that I've got a very slight leak from one side. Need to get it sorted but have read various horror stories about replacing them. 

Well I found some videos but they were all 986 which has thicker flanges. This picture says if all really, they are different - thinner flanges with welded in studs.

Mine were picked up last April as rusty and I had a look and thought - leave well alone. The good news is that if you put an M8 nut on the other side and do it up they just snap making removing the exhaust easy. Just didnt want to do that before going to work tomorrow without a replacement !

As far as I can see it looks like the side you can’t see was also tack welded rather than using a nut but rust has removed most of the evidence. Blasted salt on the roads! 

What a pita welded in studs bodge holding well so far

That's what I ended up doing, dropping the manifold and cut/drill those bolts... I tried all other options but that was the only way I managed to do it. Then bolted all back together with proper bolts/nuts. I wish I had thought of your idea to keep me going, although my gasket broke alongside one of the bolts...

Let us know how the new exhaust feels like!

• 4 weeks later...

Well if the good news is that I managed to do one side complete with new stainless steel bolts and washers and it was an absolute pig! For the record the original bolts are marked 8.8 which means they are standard steel and not hi-tensile so I can see no problem with using stainless replacements.

I just decided that as I will have half the rest in bits in the next few days I might as well take care of the rest, so a new exhaust is on its way. Thanks to some of the videos you guys have posted I settled on a switchable system which some of you have. I actually purchased from Cybox which is the same as the Top Gear and Desigtek ones but slightly cheaper.

Should arrive Wednesday - cant wait !

It has arrived !

New box’s for the Box !New box’s for the Box !

New box’s for the Box !New box’s for the Box !

View through the backbox to the valve.

Started trying to loosen the manifold bolts on the other side tonight and soaking in Penetrating fluid for a more determined attempt tomorrow. 

The whole system looks beautifully made. All TIG welded together (i want one) and polished. Fitment looks quite straightforward. We will see......

FYI it had Topgear on the box !

All pipework fitted. Replaced all the manifold bolts on the other side only the one at the back snapped and still would not come out even after welding another nut on the head. Ended up putting a new M8 insert in the head as could not re-tap the thread. Now I just need to wire up and finish plumbing the exhaust solonoids....

New stainless backboxes fitted

The control unit for mine is connected by the dme, remove the carpet where your boot light is and you will see what I mean.

As for the vacuum connection I've never actually found where it connects to. It seems to run down the passenger side heading to the front of the engine.

Exciting times, you will love the sound of your new exhaust ?

Well bar working out how get the carpet to fit perfectly in the boot it all works and sounds amazing. Not much louder with the valves closed but in full asbo mode I will be careful where I put my foot down. Can’t test it properly yet as cannot get the power down anywhere in the snow...... may go to work via the Hindhead tunnel ;-)

Heres some pics of the final install. Not sure if it was here or in reply to @Lonewolfgjp‘s other thread on battey drain. I connected the power from the rear boot light purely in the hope that the system powers down if the car is left for a while. We will see.

Topgear exhaust control gear fitmentTopgear exhaust control gear fitment

I suspect that if the vacuum tube for the valves goes to the front of the car it may be attached somehow to the brake servo! Prefer to have mine connected somewhere else. T’d into the bottom inlet of the solonoid valve (one of two each side of the engine) for the vacuum controlled ancillaries. The can confirm that due to the one way valve that comes with the kit some vacuum remains in the system even when the car is switched off so you can operate the valves maybe once or twice.

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

Looks quite a faff! Seeing that I think I will definitely go down the Carnewal route!! But all said you reap your rewards.

Not at all the plumbing and electrical connections were easy as the holes at the back are already there for the factory system. There are only two electrical connections and there is plenty of power in the boot. An 8mm hole through the silicone gland into the engine bay and everything is push fit. Half an hours work second time round (bar getting under the engine cover and carpets).

Whatever system you fit you will still need to sort out the 6 manifold bolts to the Cats. ‘Faff’ is not a strong enough F word to describe that job !! Get SOMEBODY ELSE to do that first. ;-)

The valved exhaust is fantastic and perfect if you get someone else to fit it!

I've never regretted fitting mine and glad i didn't go the Carnewal route. I think they are ideal for a steath fit on a car under warranty but a little tame for me without the Sports cats?

Archived