Aftermarket glass hoods - longevity

K.I.T.T.

My 18 year old hood has had the plastic screen replaced a few years ago, which s still in good shape. The rest of the hood is showing some wear in a couple of isolated locations. Nothing you'd notice unless you knew where to look.

I was looking on a popular auction site for a 2003+ glass hood, but am having second thoughts as they will sill be 15 years old and I may have the same issue.

Has anyone had an aftermarket hood (eg CarHoodWarehouse or BAS) for a considerable length (10 years? ish..) of time? Curious to know how they hold up over a long period of time compared to the stock hoods.

If I do go down this route (need to buy my own place with a garage first / clear out my mum's garage - fed up of the neighbourhood pussy taking a particular shine to my car...), I'm tempted to go for either brown or green mohair: http://www.car-hood.co.uk/mohair-hooding-2

Haven't seen this on a 986 before and I think either colour would complement Zenith Blue well.

Hallo

I fitted the Car Hood Warehouse one on my car and then sold it a year later

I don't have a long term running report but I haven't heard any bad feedback about them ever

The colour is up to you but anything other than blue or black will make the car hard to sell if your situation / mind changes - certainly brown or green on blue would be 'interesting' to say the least!

Thanks @perleman. I too haven't heard of any bad feedback, but haven't come across someone who's had one for an extended period of time.

I get what you're saying about the colour - but I'm doing it for me, not the next potential buyer :)

The colours aren't as lairy as you think. The green is very dark - darker than bottle. The brown was a nod to the cocoa hood available on the 550 anniversary. 

Black, brown and green as below, although I will be asking for fabric samples first:

0000671_mohair-hooding-with-black-backin

0000676_mohair-hooding-with-black-backin

0000673_mohair-hooding-with-black-backin

Actually, the brown may not be as subtle as I originally thought...

Thanks Rob - due to some reason I thought yours was more recent. Any idea which supplier it came from originally?

2 minutes ago, perleman said:

Don't put a green roof on a blue car man! Come on. I see this car round where I live, I am imagining the owner is keen on bowls or something

audi_tt_green_green.jpg

I quite like that! :huh:

I may well end up going with black - not a massive fan of blue on blue. Red / maroon is a no-no as are any of the others.

Archived