Ow my knuckles !

Buzzlt

Well I got 5 out of the 6 manifold bolts out today with an air impact wrench so I was feeling quite pleased with myself. Last one snapped ! I was quite surprised that it had a 12mm head whereas all the others were 13mm.

I managed to spot the remaining bolt through the manifold with an 8.5mm drill bit and then drilled in a reasonable depth with a 5mm bit. Found that the bolt extractor I have  perfectly fits a 1/4 inch drive if you use it backwards. I was then happy that I managed to find a tap and die set I bought from Screwfix a few years ago and have never really used and it had a reasonable looking tap wrench. Turns out that was made of chocolate I think and I definitely punched something !

I think the rest of the set looks pretty suspect too so it may just be going straight in the recycling bin.

Till tomorrow..... by the way if you have a 2006 ish boxster which has been about a bit like mine you should really check to see if you still have any nuts joining the manifold to the exhaust. There were three of them once and not sure quite what the were made of but they all seam to have dissolved !

Will let you know if the other half of the tap wrench that I cannot find (or be bothered to look for at the moment) comes back down out of orbit and does not burn up on re-entry!

3 hours ago, Buzzlt said:

Till tomorrow..... by the way if you have a 2006 ish boxster which has been about a bit like mine you should really check to see if you still have any nuts joining the manifold to the exhaust. There were three of them once and not sure quite what the were made of but they all seam to have dissolved !

Mine are the same, garage said £200 to replace them with stainless steel ones.

Archived