No air filter! :/ (engine bay)

ooid

My colleague has been looking for a 986, for weekend use. He found a few cars so last week I offered to help him, to see one of the cars just outside London, private sale. The car looked great, quite clean, a few owners and mainly serviced annually. Being former user, I wanted to see the engine bay, and offered to help to open up quickly, which we did. Suprize! there was no air filter?! Now, I know some owners do not use air filter, mostly if they track their cars. I asked the owner where was the air filter, and he did not even know the existence of it, not sure he was mechanically fit. He also got quite p*ssed off, the last time he serviced his car, (nearly a year ago), probably they forget to put a new air filter on. God knows how many cr*p particles or dust in there so far, so we kindly said goodbye and stayed away from the purchase.

Sad situation for the owner, maybe a small gain for my colleague but really annoying to find out some seriously butcher/sloppy indies out there!  :wacko:

Just seems an unlikely thing for an Indy to do. If you want to scrimp, you just don't bother opening the engine hatch and leave the original in there and no one will know. Maybe they took it out themselves on 'advice' to get a better sound, and then forgot to replace it before selling. Probably wise to give it a swerve?

9 hours ago, ooid said:

My colleague has been looking for a 986, for weekend use. He found a few cars so last week I offered to help him, to see one of the cars just outside London, private sale. The car looked great, quite clean, a few owners and mainly serviced annually. Being former user, I wanted to see the engine bay, and offered to help to open up quickly, which we did. Suprize! there was no air filter?! Now, I know some owners do not use air filter, mostly if they track their cars. I asked the owner where was the air filter, and he did not even know the existence of it, not sure he was mechanically fit. He also got quite p*ssed off, the last time he serviced his car, (nearly a year ago), probably they forget to put a new air filter on. God knows how many cr*p particles or dust in there so far, so we kindly said goodbye and stayed away from the purchase.

Sad situation for the owner, maybe a small gain for my colleague but really annoying to find out some seriously butcher/sloppy indies out there!  :wacko:

Impressively thorough on your part. I would not (and didn't) open the engine bay on a Boxster! Think I would now though.

Archived