Any idea if.....

the baron

Any idea if you can fix the digital clock read out on instrument cluster, noticed last night that its not lite up, all the other read outs are bright orange, its just the digital clock and oil level etc that doesn’t illuminate (under the temp and petrol gauge)

Or is a new cluster needed, will that mean I lose the mileage and take up the mileage of what evers on the new cluster/second hand cluster?

Thanks guys

(The car is a 1997 2.5.)

24 minutes ago, the baron said:

So the clock and oil read out all works its just not in orange, let me know if you are successful in the LED replacement and how easy it was, good luck

In which case it is just the bulbs that need doing. I bought mine from China (via ebay) for the princely sum of about £1.

Removing the cluster is dead easy (about four screws in total) so fear not, this is a very cheap fix and no need for a new cluster

20 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

In which case it is just the bulbs that need doing. I bought mine from China (via ebay) for the princely sum of about £1.

Removing the cluster is dead easy (about four screws in total) so fear not, this is a very cheap fix and no need for a new cluster

Awesome. That has to be some sort of record, a £1 fix, any idea of bulb I need to order?

Hi

Having taken a look at my ebay purchase history it would appear that I lied to you about the cost - they were £1.89 and not £1 :)

I believe that the digital displays are the T5 8.4D bulbs but hopefully somebody will confirm (if not, then they are the T10 bulbs but I think these are for the speedo etc).

I actually ended up buying more than I need, so if you are happy to swap to white I could post you some (I only have 4 of the T10s so can't help you there).

There is also a write up here on how to do it:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement.htm

22 minutes ago, the baron said:

Awesome. That has to be some sort of record, a £1 fix, any idea of bulb I need to order?

Oh and I can almost beat that with a £1.49 fan resistor fix (versus the £109 Porsche want for the part). Once again, the wonderful world of globalisation meant that I could get the same resistor from China for £1.49 (inc postage).

Luckily I already had a soldering iron, crimp connectors, and heat shrink but even so, it always feels good to beat the Porche tax.

Archived