Why doesn't the emergency bonnet release work?

Itchigo27

Evening all,

Got a flat battery from lack of use, now obviously the bonnet won't open. Using the pull out positive fuse connection from the fuse box and hooking up jumper cables / battery jumper won't open it! Now my only choice is to try and get to the emergency cable in the wheel arch, I can't take the wheel off as the locking nuts are in the boot.. is it possible to take the lining off with the wheel on?

My main question is why doesn't the fuse box power trick work? I've read it could be an immobiliser issue? If I do get the bonnet open and the car running in your experience will everything else electrical be ok?

Thanks all.

I had the exact same problem a few months ago.

I got round it by removing the plastic panel that surrounds the frunk/boot release. It’s held on by three small hex bolts that point towards the seat. There’s not much room, but with an allan key and a bit of patience, you can get it off quite easily. Once the latches are exposed, just use a tiny screwdriver to flick the locking mechanism down between the two latches, and they will be working again. 

Unlucky! Back to finding the emergency release cable. 

The guy in the link below describes how he was able to remove the wheel lining with the wheel still on and the car on the ground - 

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61089-another-dead-battery-locked-frunk-thread.html

Good luck! 

2 hours ago, Itchigo27 said:

So I've had an indie breakdown guy out today as I get free homestart cover. I was at work but apparently he had both wheel liners off but couldn't see the manual cable?! It's definitely got to be there, right?

Yes, unless it's already been moved to a more convenient position! Try behind the towing eye socket or underneath? If it's still in its original position it'll be high up behind the headlight. Its a thin wire with a loop. IIRC it might have some red on it.

Had a go myself drivers side, the liner is all one piece so I had to pull it out of the way. To anyone attempting this the rubber plugs are a nightmare to take out! I broke 2. The pictures are facing the back of the drivers side headlight, I struggled to see a cable? I did check under the towing eye but no luck.

Tomorrow I'll check the passenger side, but I'm not hopeful.

Thanks for the help

I had the same problem after the first time I laid the car up for winter. Connected up a battery charger to the fuse box and door striker but it didn’t have enough oomph. Then tried a small 12 volt battery which had the same result. Finally I connected up a car battery and it opened immediately, guess it needs a few amps. 

The op said he used jumper cables presumedly to another car so he obviously has a different problem. 

Wednesday night update, had the passenger side lining off, and nothing! Had my hand as far as I could get it behind both lights and couldn't feel a cable! Really don't know what to do now,  don't know if this is important but when I connect the fuse box power up there's a clicking from the passenger side, nothing electrical works though?!

I read somewhere about crowbar to open the bonnet, seems like the only option, can't believe it.

Have you tried talking to one of the speciaist Indy's for advice. However when I messed up my door lock trying to fix the window drop microswitch none could offer any help. A local garage had seen this before and hey presto I was back in my car.

I take it there is no way to remove the headlights with out access to frunk now you gave access through the wheel arch.

Would smashing the headlight be a cheaper option.

Assuming there is a wire you could try fishing for it from under the front of the car. I've not done this myself but when I was investigating my lock and emergency release I thought it would be possible. Using a straightened wire coat hanger with a bent hook on the end, pass it up from underneath aiming to the left or right of the lock to see if you can "catch" the wire.  Tight lines....

14 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Assuming there is a wire you could try fishing for it from under the front of the car. I've not done this myself but when I was investigating my lock and emergency release I thought it would be possible. Using a straightened wire coat hanger with a bent hook on the end, pass it up from underneath aiming to the left or right of the lock to see if you can "catch" the wire.  Tight lines....

So looking through the four holes in the bottom of the front bumper, I did think I could see the "shiny brake cable" in the centre, but had no way to reach it, could be worth a coat hanger attempt

I know it's of no help to you, horse bolted and all that, but if I didn't have a manual release on my old '99 Boxster I think I would be planning to remove my headlights and locate my manual release cable. I might even attach something to it to make it easier to find should I ever end up in your situation in the future. 

Sorry this is of no help to you but maybe a few others who read this thread might just be thinking it will never happen to me so why go to all that bother. 

I am visiting the garage that helped with my door lock on Friday if the mechanic that performed my miracle is there I will ask if he has any advise for you.

• Thanks 1

A memory saver we use plugged into your obd (diagnostics socket ) , it gives the car 12 volts and it might pop your bonnet , it works on my boxster and other cars, another option is to see if the car will bump start ? If it does your in business 

5 minutes ago, Itchigo27 said:

Wahoo! Thought it was possible. Now route the cable to a more convenient position in case you need it again. Also don't forget to tell any new owner where you have routed it! 

I’m I right in thinking this only applies to the electronic release, mine is I think the manual release that is pictured on eBay pic above, you have to lift it up about 2” and feels like you are actually pulling a cable rather it being electronic.