986 Seat Belts

Saxosim

Hi All,

Currently looking at changing the seat belts on my 986 S once the weather gets better to a pair of dark red ones via a webbing refinishing service available on EBay for £35 each.  I received some samples of the material he uses and the dark red looks excellent.

I am thinking about potentially sourcing a pair of used seatbelts first from a Porsche breakers to send off instead of the originals as they are only about £20 a pair which would then take the pressure off for how long it may take to get them back etc.

Does anyone know what type of seatbelt would be fitted in my 2002 Boxster S i.e pretenioned or non pretentioned, because the adverts I have seen mention both types.

Also I have searched for a fitting guide to see the removal procedures and torque settings for bolts etc but can’t find any guides, does anyone who has done this job happen to have a guide please?

There's a link in my progress thread for the removal process for a 987, can't imagine it's much different to yours...

The Ebay seller I used had a very fast turnaround so unless you're needing the car on a daily basis I'd save your pennies and send your original belts.

My 2001 S didn't have the pre-tensioners seabelts, I believe 2001/2 is the crossover period so you may need to check yours before buying the extra ones.

Write up on how to replace seatbelts for the 986

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/26852-diy-red-seat-belts-upgrade.html

I did this last year, it's pretty straight forward and a good improvement to the cars interior

3 hours ago, Southy said:

My 2001 S didn't have the pre-tensioners seabelts, I believe 2001/2 is the crossover period so you may need to check yours before buying the extra ones.

Write up on how to replace seatbelts for the 986

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/26852-diy-red-seat-belts-upgrade.html

I did this last year, it's pretty straight forward and a good improvement to the cars interior

Thanks for the info @Southy yes I will have a check first to to be sure as you suggested but I am trying to find any info on removing the surrounding panels to gain access to the seatbelt reel so I can see if it has the wire going to it or now but I can’t  see any obvious screws or clips to remove these trim panels.  Can you recall how to do it?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Saxosim said:

Thanks for the info @Southy yes I will have a check first to to be sure as you suggested but I am trying to find any info on removing the surrounding panels to gain access to the seatbelt reel so I can see if it has the wire going to it or now but I can’t  see any obvious screws or clips to remove these trim panels.  Can you recall how to do it?

Thanks

Ok the seat belt cover trim is held on by one screw and clips, see this photo below, the screw is at the top by the plastic bit, the are tuck underneath, you can then just pull the trim up to release it, don't force it just wriggle it  :), notice the passenger side trim has wiring for the heated rear screen so be careful with the one, it disconnects at the bottom.  click on the mage below to make it bigger.

s-l1600.jpg

Archived