Body work, cut from doner car or shape by hand

the baron

I have notice over under the near side air vent there is some bubbling and the wheel arch is not right, it doesn’t have the same half inch lip running around it, although no rust at this spot just under air vent at present.

It has obviously been repaired ar some time and the line and shape is not quite right to my ocd eye.

i have had quotes to cut out rust and re shape wheel arch and weld new bits of metal in rather than filling etc at around £500.

my other option is to go to a breakers and cut out that part of the panel and get my guy to weld in, much bigger job I presume but would it be a better job.

we are talking about 2ft sq piece to cut and weld

what do you reckon guys, to much hassle or worth the effort and the dosh?

Here you go sorry about the quality but you get the idea

7CDBC21D-53AA-4101-9DFA-0F4BBB48136D.jpe

The area marked inn red is what I think I would need to cut out although the rust is only under the vent the odd shape is just the wheel arch

2 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

just get a replacement wing section .plenty in the breakers you may even get the same color that doesn't need painting much 

Will i need to cut it out or does it come as a whole rear wing ?

Agree with haggis, replace the whole panel as you'll end up with lots of filler trying to marry up sections of panel. You'll need to cut the old panel out with a spot weld drill piece. If you do it yourself at the scrappys you'll have a better idea of how to remove it from your car. Main seams are in the door shut, by rear cluster and boot and under hood cover. Not sure what happen towards the sill area, but maybe just cut here and overlap with new panel.

This should give you an idea of what you'll get. Thinking about it, the scrappy will already have removed it as they don't let you roam around piles of cars anymore.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-986-Boxster-REAR-wing-Passenger-side-rear-cut-with-sill-etc/263615583368?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

3 hours ago, Nobbie said:

This should give you an idea of what you'll get. Thinking about it, the scrappy will already have removed it as they don't let you roam around piles of cars anymore.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-986-Boxster-REAR-wing-Passenger-side-rear-cut-with-sill-etc/263615583368?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Thanks for the link, that looks like a major job to reinstall, wow ? 

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Interesting one, would it not be easier to find a decent panel beater to tap it into the correct shape and the have it all painted to address the rust etc?

After looking at the that section above on eBay , I’m thinking it’s not really a viable option

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Interesting one, would it not be easier to find a decent panel beater to tap it into the correct shape and the have it all painted to address the rust etc?

The trouble is the rust is coming through from the inside so you need to grind and cut back to good metal, treat, fill and paint. You'll probably not end up with much metal left around the grill flange. Strange how it started there in the first place as it seems pretty protected in that area. The lack of body seams makes rear wing replacement difficult. I'd take advice from a good metal fabricator they can probably work wonders with the existing panel which should see out the cars life.

Been quoted £250 from Douglas valley breakers for the rear wing, but I think it will be an expensive exercise cutting out old one and making the new one fit, lots of cutting and filling, if it was a straight bolt on it would be a no brainier, I think a good body shop that will cut out rust and weld a new bit of metal in will be simpler and cheaper and hopefully a good job, not interest in it just being filled.

Archived