Brake Costs

IanM

Can anybody shed light on how much main dealers charge to change front and rear brake discs and pads, on a 981 Boxster S, parts and labour please, also is there anywhere for supply only of OEM brake components for me to do myself other that at main dealer prices? Service coming up including warranty renewal.

Revolution did mine, OEM pads and discs, fluid etc circa £830. + fitting. Not long after there was a post on here about OEM discs and pads a common make reboxed and the price doubled., someone will know the thread. I know which way I'll be going next time.

17 minutes ago, IanM said:

Can anybody shed light on how much main dealers charge to change front and rear brake discs and pads, on a 981 Boxster S, parts and labour please, also is there anywhere for supply only of OEM brake components for me to do myself other that at main dealer prices? Service coming up including warranty renewal.

Europarts are worth a shout for Porsche brake parts, especially if they have a discount running.

6 minutes ago, mneil said:

Revolution did mine, OEM pads and discs, fluid etc circa £830. + fitting. Not long after there was a post on here about OEM discs and pads a common make reboxed and the price doubled., someone will know the thread. I know which way I'll be going next time.

So what was the total cost with fitting?

23 minutes ago, el 3.2S said:

Europarts are worth a shout for Porsche brake parts, especially if they have a discount running.

So what was the total cost with fitting?

fitting £230 ish with brakes fluid change but that's February 2016 prices.

I recently had my 981 2.7 front pads changed at ATS (cannot remember how much but about 50% of the Porsche quote...) - they changed just the fronts as the rears were only 30%-40% worn.

Do expect for the brake wear sensors to require replacing as they are difficult to recover taking off the pad - the guy showed me mine where they had just sheered off.  I think Porsche must budget to replace these as well from looking at the itemised quote I received.

I think ATS charged around £200 in the end, all OEM as I need the warranty!

The guy said he had down quite a few 981s & 991s so seemed fully clued up.

16 hours ago, IanM said:

I have Porsche warranty so need OEM to comply but I am happy to fit myself assuming nothing out of the ordinary?

Not really, you only need OEM parts if you are looking to renew your Warranty and given the Sebro/Textar are what Porsche uses anyway I’m not sure if they could tell in any case. If you aren’t renewing then none oem Brake parts would only invalidate a warranty claim caused by said parts, given most brake parts aren’t included anyway then I think you are safe.

8 hours ago, Greenman said:

Not really, you only need OEM parts if you are looking to renew your Warranty and given the Sebro/Textar are what Porsche uses anyway I’m not sure if they could tell in any case. If you aren’t renewing then none oem Brake parts would only invalidate a warranty claim caused by said parts, given most brake parts aren’t included anyway then I think you are safe.

I've always been thinking about this - if the car was bought as an approved used from an OPC, with OPC warranty, would the dealer actually bother to check the brand of discs and pads already on the car when they were going over it? Same with other consumables (tyres excepted). I presume not, so if a non-OE issue hypothetically contributed to a fault, where would you stand if said part was on the car when purchased and you were non the wiser?

27 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

this - if the car was bought as an approved used from an OPC, with OPC warranty, would the dealer actually bother to check the brand of discs and pads already on the car when they were going over it?

Probably not, but then what issue that is covered by warranty might be caused by3rd party disks/pads.

Nothing that I can think of.

There's probably an obscure scenario out there - non 'N-rated' bulbs causing your headlight loom to fail or similar?! :ninja:

10 hours ago, Greenman said:

Up for 6 year service next month and I am of mind to continue with warranty, probably daft for a car that only does 3k miles a year, more peace of mind. Not sure it needs brakes actually but I think they are still originals and front and rear discs have pronounced lips now. Don't want to get to OPC and have them tell me it needs brakes or it fails 111 inspection forcing me to pay their prices. Going to remove wheels this weekend and have a look.

56 minutes ago, IanM said:

Up for 6 year service next month and I am of mind to continue with warranty, probably daft for a car that only does 3k miles a year, more peace of mind. Not sure it needs brakes actually but I think they are still originals and front and rear discs have pronounced lips now. Don't want to get to OPC and have them tell me it needs brakes or it fails 111 inspection forcing me to pay their prices. Going to remove wheels this weekend and have a look.

Nothing wrong with a bit of a lip. If the warning sensors haven’t worn through then I don’t see how you could fail on this?

Burgess Hill OPC charged me 500 quid to replace all four pads.

Never been back since, hopefully never will..!

You can get mintex for 26 pounds for the rear. Perfect fit. Whether you'd want them is up to you, but they seem okay. OPC is necessary if you have warranty.

I've got a document of the cross-reference numbers of all the vendors, but it's for 2.7 front and not 3.4, although it may even be the same pads with bigger discs - not sure.

The rears are the same though IIRC.

Also, my front disks are from EBC, they were only 120 pounds the pair and exceptional quality. Again, won't suit a 3.4 though

On 5/9/2018 at 10:19 PM, Greenman said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of a lip. If the warning sensors haven’t worn through then I don’t see how you could fail on this?

The sensors measure pad wear. It's plausible that the pads have been replaced while retaining the existing discs and that the discs have worn down past their recommended minimum thickness while the pads are fine. Pads and discs each need to be checked.

43 minutes ago, Carmine said:

The sensors measure pad wear. It's plausible that the pads have been replaced while retaining the existing discs and that the discs have worn down past their recommended minimum thickness while the pads are fine. Pads and discs each need to be checked.

Yes absolutely right,  not sure what I was thinking!  I assumed OP had not already had pads changed. Ian what mileage are you on? Have pads been changed previously?

On 5/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, Greenman said:

Yes absolutely right,  not sure what I was thinking!  I assumed OP had not already had pads changed. Ian what mileage are you on? Have pads been changed previously?

33k, I have invoices from previous owner but no pads or disc changes included. There is some rust on a couple of the discs by the hub and maybe up a small mm of lip all around.

Yeh the disks won’t have been changed previously,  you can measure the disk thickness with a micrometer to see whether they need doing. There is a defined min thickness that the OPC recommend disk change.

Archived