No AUX option on Becker CDR21??

karlp606

Hey guys I purchased one of the becker aux cables with the little blue plug on the end and installed it, but Im having issues trying to bring the AUX option up when pressing the TP button, nothing seems to happen?

Im following the instructions here;

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/ip-bkrcd.pdf

But nothing seems to be happening, has anyone else manged to get the secrect AUX option up on a CDR21?

I assume from your post that you've not managed to access the secret menu to enable to Aux function, rather than that you've enabled it but it's just not working when you try to switch inputs to AUX? The link you provided didn't seem to include the instructions to access the 'secret' installation menu, but have you already tried doing what's shown on this different guide under 'Enabling the AUX function - Radios with TP button'? http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/il-bkr.pdf. I successfully used that method on an MDR32 (2001 car), but that was from a later series of Becker units; the 11/21 models were earlier (in line with the age of your car) and I didn't know they had that facility.

I assume that you do have a CD changer connected to your CDR21? That website says that it is necessary for the changer to remain connected (even though it won't play) for the iP-BKRCD device to work.

Alternatively, (and it's a bit of a long shot), I seem to recall that there might be other Becker units where you need to use a different button rather than TP to access the installation menu.  If this is the case for the CDR21 you might be able to find it by trial & error, or you could try searching for "Aux" posts on here or elsewhere to see if you can turn up anything.

2 hours ago, Jon61 said:

I assume from your post that you've not managed to access the secret menu to enable to Aux function, rather than that you've enabled it but it's just not working when you try to switch inputs to AUX? The link you provided didn't seem to include the instructions to access the 'secret' installation menu, but have you already tried doing what's shown on this different guide under 'Enabling the AUX function - Radios with TP button'? http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/il-bkr.pdf. I successfully used that method on an MDR32 (2001 car), but that was from a later series of Becker units; the 11/21 models were earlier (in line with the age of your car) and I didn't know they had that facility.

I assume that you do have a CD changer connected to your CDR21? That website says that it is necessary for the changer to remain connected (even though it won't play) for the iP-BKRCD device to work.

Alternatively, (and it's a bit of a long shot), I seem to recall that there might be other Becker units where you need to use a different button rather than TP to access the installation menu.  If this is the case for the CDR21 you might be able to find it by trial & error, or you could try searching for "Aux" posts on here or elsewhere to see if you can turn up anything.

Hi Jon,

Yes, I just cant figure out the button method and have spent about  a week googling lol.

I dont have a CD changer connected as I was told I didn't need it for AUX enable, so not sure if this is causing an issue?

I have the CDR-22 and no CD changer, the AUX connection worked fine once you 'activate' it.

I'm not sure the CDR-21 has the AUX option at all.

26 minutes ago, Southy said:

I have the CDR-22 and no CD changer, the AUX connection worked fine once you 'activate' it.

I'm not sure the CDR-21 has the AUX option at all.

Yes just found out cdr21 doesnt have that function :( so will need to look at other options I suppose :(

Hiya I just installed this on my cdr 22 last week and although it was a faff I managed to enable the lead.  Have you tried the following?

press and hold the tp button for approx 10 seconds until the unit beeps and Becker appears on the screen, use the right hand knob to scroll through to aux on the options then use the indicated buttons to change it to on.  Then press the power button to reset the unit, switch it back on and then when you press S for source you should now have the option aux.

Worth a try if you haven’t already 

45 minutes ago, karlp606 said:

Yes just found out cdr21 doesnt have that function :( so will need to look at other options I suppose :(

Your could just upgrade to a CDR-22 or another Becker unit - or go for a new modern head unit

Can I ask where you got the aux lead from. Im after one for my 987 with CD-R-22 to suit an iPhone 8 if anyone can provide a suitable link to the right lead. 

Cheers Simon

14 hours ago, Saxosim said:

Hiya I just installed this on my cdr 22 last week and although it was a faff I managed to enable the lead.  Have you tried the following?

press and hold the tp button for approx 10 seconds until the unit beeps and Becker appears on the screen, use the right hand knob to scroll through to aux on the options then use the indicated buttons to change it to on.  Then press the power button to reset the unit, switch it back on and then when you press S for source you should now have the option aux.

Worth a try if you haven’t already 

Yeh tried dude, dont think the cdr21 has the AUX option/secret menu at all.

9 hours ago, Simon. said:

Can I ask where you got the aux lead from. Im after one for my 987 with CD-R-22 to suit an iPhone 8 if anyone can provide a suitable link to the right lead. 

Cheers Simon

Just ebay matey, search "becker aux 3.5 lead" 

11 hours ago, OctagonTiger said:

Karl,

I believe you’re reasonably local, I’ve hot the cdr22 head unit if you want to have a look and poke around if it’s help? 

Have you got one to sell do you mean? 

12 hours ago, Simon. said:

Cheers Simon

As Eddy555 linked to, I used the same lead on my CDR22 and have just used the headphone adapter from my iphone7, I did try a chinese adapter that took the power lead into the phone as well as the aux but it put a load of engine whine through the speakers.

4 hours ago, karlp606 said:

Yeh tried dude, dont think the cdr21 has the AUX option/secret menu at all.

Ah okay that’s a shame it didn’t work.

You can pick up the CDR22 headunits on eBay for about £140 and the aux leads are about £7 off amazon 

That seems like quite a lot of money to get an average quality 20 year old radio to work. And £125 is seriously expensive for a second hand head unit! I tried living with my becker for a while. Even installed a universal bluetooth box. I liked the factory look but got cheesed off with the functionality and bought a pioneer head unit with DAB, Bluetooth and Spotify built in. Even managed to get the new head unit's display colour to match the rest of the dash. I think it cost £110 - slightly less than the aux box in the link and probably took the same amount of work. Mind you I can't say the sound quality is any better because I upgraded the dash speakers at the same time (£40 well spent!). If keeping the factory look is not uber important there are better options out there for not a lot of money.

On 10 May 2018 at 7:29 PM, Simon_S said:

That seems like quite a lot of money to get an average quality 20 year old radio to work. And £125 is seriously expensive for a second hand head unit! I tried living with my becker for a while. Even installed a universal bluetooth box. I liked the factory look but got cheesed off with the functionality and bought a pioneer head unit with DAB, Bluetooth and Spotify built in. Even managed to get the new head unit's display colour to match the rest of the dash. I think it cost £110 - slightly less than the aux box in the link and probably took the same amount of work. Mind you I can't say the sound quality is any better because I upgraded the dash speakers at the same time (£40 well spent!). If keeping the factory look is not uber important there are better options out there for not a lot of money.

Thanks Simon, could you post a pic of the one you have?

Sorry the pic quality isn't great with the reflections. The colour match is a little better with the naked eye. Its a Pioneer DEH X7800 DAB. Seems to be £120 on the halfords website at the moment. Factor in another tenner for a windscreen dab antenna which isn't included. I chose this purely for the functionality and the ability to match the display colour. This one doesn't have a CD player though if that's important. The sound quality isn't going to be much different from the becker. if you are just using the 4 inch dash speakers. But the dash speaker upgrade is defo worth it for £40. If I was doing it again I would look at getting a dab antenna which you can hide behind the A pillar trim. The driver side is a bit tight because the FM antenna is hidden behind it but it looked as if there was enough room on the passenger side. Oh and one thing which caught me out is that there is an alarm connection to the original Becker which needs to be disabled or you will get an annoying beep from the alarm to tell you something isn't right. The alarm connector is accessible by prising off the switch trim to the left of the head unit. Pull off the spade connector and tape it off.

2018_05_14_09_26_28.jpg.6460eb3d8e3b6fa6f9e68fc26bb2f3ca.jpg

Archived