Eibach Anti-Roll Bars, What Setting?

nick_johnson

Hi Guys, 

I’ve just fitted my new Eibach Anti-Roll Bars and noticed that there are two settings, one that is slightly softer and also a harder setting? 

I was interested to know if any of you are running Eibach Roll Bars and what setting you prefer, I realise that it is opinion but I’m just curious what people have chosen? I’ve opted for the softer setting to start with. 

Nick 

Hi Nick - My Boxster is a track car (still road legal and wife-friendly, but quite a few modifications) and I run the Eibach ARB's set to the harder setting on the rear and the soft setting up front to help reduce understeer.  Of all the changes I've made to the car for the track, these are one of the best ones IMO.

Cheers, Jon

Theres a few other things you can try to minimise understeer. More front negative camber or less rear negative camber, wider front track eg using spacers, wider front tyre (and/or narrower rear tyre), more rake. 

3 hours ago, edc said:

Theres a few other things you can try to minimise understeer. More front negative camber or less rear negative camber, wider front track eg using spacers, wider front tyre (and/or narrower rear tyre), more rake. 

...softer front tyre pressure, harder rear tyre pressure...

Optimal tire pressure in front reduces under steer. The only way to figure optimal pressure is to use chalking and/or tire temperature after pushing the tires to the limit. The easiest way to do this is on the skid pad, the track or an autocross course.

The recommended tire pressures for the Boxster are intentionally set to induce under steer, for safety reasons, so typically you will have to increase front pressure somewhat to minimize under steer.

Different tires will have different optimal pressures because of differences in composition and side wall stiffness.

Haven't tried those. Try raising front pressure by 2-3 PSI and lowering rears by the same. Do some spirited driving before and after and see how it worked out. Even better, try chalking your tires before doing it and see if hard cornering on hot tires removes the chalk to the transition between tread and sidewall.

I omitted to mention in my previous post that camber settings and roll bar settings also affect under steering. A lot of parameters!

There's more to this than I can cover in a couple of simple posts.

One more point: If you want optimal performance you need to determine your optimal hot tire pressures. When I am on the track or doing autocross I set the optimal hot tire pressure and have to let out air to reach it. When I get home I change the pressures  to the optimal for street driving, which is warm tires. After track days I have to add air to get there,

Archived