New MOT rules

NutsyH

Just had my Boxster, 987 gen2, passed through the new MOT system

It has the Carnewal exhaust, LED bulbs in dipped and fog lights, and the foglight hack to use them as DRL'S.

Passed without a problem.

2 hours ago, NutsyH said:

Just had my Boxster, 987 gen2, passed through the new MOT system

It has the Carnewal exhaust, LED bulbs in dipped and fog lights, and the foglight hack to use them as DRL'S.

Passed without a problem.

Great news!

Did you get any Main beam LEDs in the end? and are the dip LEDs nice and bright?

I had to change back from HID to halogen for the MOT this year,  but I haven't been out in the dark yet so no worries :woot:

Kevin

Hi Kevin

No, I didn't find any suitable main beam LED's, but main beam halogens are perfectly good.

The LED dipped are very bright, much better than the old LED's.

Paul

12 hours ago, brendon said:

Which did you use? Could you put a link up where to get them from please.. 

+1. I've looked for dip LEDs for my 2011, and can't find anyone selling them.  But can find HID.  The LEDs must be CANbus compatible, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Philips LED HL (H7)

X- treme Ultinon LED

6500 K arctic white premium LUXEON

They have a cooling fan at the rear, which you have to screw off to fit the bulbs in the housing. Once you have reattached the spring clip, screw the fans back on.

Can't remember where I got them from. Google is your friend. Box says "Designed for racing. Not for use on public roads."

However as said above my car has passed the latest MOT with the new rules.

The Phillips Luxeon leds are one of the better ones out there and lots of the retrofit H7 kits for sale use them. There are fakes about though. I have them fitted to my 986 for dipped beam. Not 100% convinced on the light output, though the quality of light (cleaner more white) is in a different league to a standard bulb. 

Archived