Wet patch on garage floor

Toddie

Hi there, noticed tonight a wet patch on the garage floor just behind the n/s front wheel, if you run your finger along the cill near the wheel arch it is wet. It is clear water, no antifreeze in it, so I suspect it is something to do with the screen washers.

Anyone got any suggestions where to start to look? Or possible leak areas?  I have checked the coolant, no loss and this doesn’t taste of antifreeze.

Not condensate from a/c as car had been stood for 6 days, still dripping water today, so decided to investigate, water was dripping out of the n/s cill. I looked underneath to see a rubber bung/ vent in the cill with a flap on it, pulled the flap and water started to pour out!

I removed the rubber bung/ vent and water just poured out of the cill. The last time I used the car was last Friday and drove home from York in the most torrential thunderstorm, going through very heavy standing water. I presume the water has got in via the wheel arch. So have rubber bung/ vent out to let it dry out: dry as a bone in the o/s .  Think some wax spay in the cill is called for when next on a ramp.

Anybody had anything similar?

3 minutes ago, Toddie said:

Not condensate from a/c as car had been stood for 6 days, still dripping water today, so decided to investigate, water was dripping out of the n/s cill. I looked underneath to see a rubber bung/ vent in the cill with a flap on it, pulled the flap and water started to pour out!

I removed the rubber bung/ vent and water just poured out of the cill. The last time I used the car was last Friday and drove home from York in the most torrential thunderstorm, going through very heavy standing water. I presume the water has got in via the wheel arch. So have rubber bung/ vent out to let it dry out: dry as a bone in the o/s .  Think some wax spay in the cill is called for when next on a ramp.

Anybody had anything similar?

Sounds like the drain holes filled with water during the storm.  Not sure why there is a flap at the bottom though?  There is a mesh cover at the top of mine to stop debris blocking the holes.

Is there a corrugated plastic tube?

I clean my drain holes with a trombone brush every few months.  

The holes I am talking about are  in the bottom of the cill, not in the frunk either side of the battery, they are completely clear, and regularly checked to be so. I check the rear ones every 2 months or so as well.

6 minutes ago, Toddie said:

The holes I am talking about are  in the bottom of the cill, not in the frunk either side of the battery, they are completely clear, and regularly checked to be so. I check the rear ones every 2 months or so as well.

Ah right understood.  I found a few comments online about water in sills and a bunghole so it’s not unknown it seems.  

For example. 

http://www.tipec.net/_forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2131

@rowbos  looking around on the net, you are right it is not unheard of! I suspect that the water was so deep that it has been forced into the cill via the wheel arch liner which fits behind the upturned lip on the front of the cill. Suspect it,s a winter project to unship it all clean out & wax oil the lot!

18 minutes ago, Toddie said:

@rowbos  looking around on the net, you are right it is not unheard of! I suspect that the water was so deep that it has been forced into the cill via the wheel arch liner which fits behind the upturned lip on the front of the cill. Suspect it,s a winter project to unship it all clean out & wax oil the lot!

Yep.  Sounds like a plan. 

Archived