Are my idler pulleys knackered?

Hughsehhh

https://youtu.be/bnMHVbOT964

Having recently acquired my 986 2.5, I'm slowly learning the car and it's idiosyncracies. I will get a members thread up soon as there is a lot to cover, but I want to get some advice on the above video. Basically, are my idler pulleys shot? One or two seem to have real resistance and I'm wondering what is normal. 

Do I need to change these immediately? The pump appears new and the belt also, showing no real signs of wear.

Apologies in advance for 86 seconds of your life you won't get back

• 1 month later...

You need a car stethoscope so you can hear the bearings. Turn the car on let it idle and put the stethoscope on each pulley/bearing/bolt. Make sure it’s the non moving part. You’ll hear which ones are knackered! If it’s just the idlers and your not sure, I’d change them. 

Are they making a noise when running? Why are you investigating in this area? Seems odd if you can’t hear anything, I recently had a nasty noise in the area and did what you have and checked the pulleys with all belts off, needed a new water pump and while there I had a couple of the idler pulleys replaced as CPS suggested they had wear, but I wouldn’t of investigated without having a god awful noise in the first place.

+1 on listening with a stethoscope whilst its running.

My 2.7 had a noise coming from what I thought was the power steering pump after I had issues with the spring loaded tensioner seizing causing the belt to be running too tight but with a stethoscope you could clearly hear it was the water pump (with belt off you could rock the pulley side to side too).

HTH

Thanks for the comments, it sounds like I need a stethoscope as this is likely to be one of those tools that once you have becomes invaluable.

The reason for asking is that I get a high pitched whine from the engine. I've read the engine is generally whiny as standard, but I've not been in another boxster to really compare it to. I need to get along to a meet and check out other owners cars really 

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just changed the belt on my 986 2.5  this morning, my idler pulleys where quiet as in no rough noise, although a slightly discernable noise from the bearing in rotation which i think is normal.

Archived