Side Vent

Sanky

9 hours ago, the baron said:

It soaks into the foam under the vent then rusts the car from the inside out. Ive just had that section cut out and a new piece of metal welded in due to this, bad design in my opinion

I think @Nobbie had the same problem and it is well documented so if someone was to come up with a mod it could be good.

4 hours ago, Terryg said:

I think @Nobbie had the same problem and it is well documented so if someone was to come up with a mod it could be good.

Just rip out the foam and stick some waxoil or similar behind the panel, Ive don’t that to both sides now, although only the nearside was rusty

14 hours ago, the baron said:

Just rip out the foam and stick some waxoil or similar behind the panel, Ive don’t that to both sides now, although only the nearside was rusty

Might look at that this winter, I didn't know it affected the nearside as well.

Thanks all, will look into ripping the foam out.  I thought it was only VW's who put foam between the panels to soak.  Would it have killed them just put a drain hole in there like they have on the passenger side.

What about just drilling a hole into item 4, so that the water can drain away?

In my experience of drilling a hole from Toyotas (yep, they do the same too), the hole doesn't drain fast enough and you'll still see rusting from the inside out. I'm surprised no manufacturer has come up with a better solution; this has been standard design practice since the 80s! Though, I guess gluing foam and not worrying about rust when the car is 15 years old and well past warranty is probably the cheapest solution...! (Not cynical at all, of course)

Archived