Pioneer Head unit

Funk99

I would like to upgrade my stereo in my 987 gen1... I have the sat nav double din but fed up with playing audio thru burnt mp3 cds etc.

from what I’ve read it’s a bit of an expensive as I’ve got Bose system?

Anyone thinking of selling any double din pioneer or can someone help me out?

many thanks

I replaced my CDR-24 with Bose for a Kenwood head unit in my 987.1.

The Bose amp is connected to the CDR-24 by optical fibres. This means that you cannot simply connect the head unit to the amp directly.

With the Bose system you need a control interface that converts the analogue output from the head unit to an optical signal for the Bose amp. This control interface also integrates with any steering wheel controls if you have them and also dims the head unit when you turn on the lights.

Link to the control interface > http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTSPO005.2 - I bought this connector for around £160.

The Kenwood head unit does work well with the Bose system and the sound is great.

I noticed when the head unit was installed that the centre dash speaker was buzzing when listening to talk radio and concluded it was blown. I bought a used one from a breaker for £23 (it has to be the Porsche Bose version as it has a lower impedance than the speaker for the standard audio system) and the problem was sorted.

Hi Guys,

Here is a picture of mine:

5a2437bca9038_Capture3.JPG.dbc6b388d2d43195972b36014dfdc74f.JPG

I changed mine out for a Kenwood DMX7017. I spent a lot of time researching this and considered stuff like the Dynavin. There is lots of debate about keeping the car standard looking and considering resale value etc. (My view on this is that there are so many 987s out there that they are clearly not going to be highly sought after collectors cars). I have retained the Bose amp and have had the Kenwood set up to use the steering wheel controls. Most of the driving data mileage, averages etc can still be scrolled through on the central dials so there is absolutely no downside. The upsides are that the unit looks factory fitted and the music and navigation options are brilliant. I'm primarily using Android auto and DAB and I couldn't be more pleased.

Unit, cabling and fitting was £630. I sold the pcm on Ebay for £250 so £380 was the real cost.

Hi, yes.

The cabling is readily available. Places like Design 911 have the various bits in stock. https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt2592_2611_-cma81-cmo82-ct293/Porsche/Boxster-986-987-981/Boxster-987-32-34L-2005-08-08/Steering-Wheel-Control-Interface/

My installer quoted about £80 for the main cable so Design 911 are making a fair markup.

1 hour ago, Bravestarr said:

Hi Guys,

Here is a picture of mine:

5a2437bca9038_Capture3.JPG.dbc6b388d2d43195972b36014dfdc74f.JPG

I changed mine out for a Kenwood DMX7017. I spent a lot of time researching this and considered stuff like the Dynavin. There is lots of debate about keeping the car standard looking and considering resale value etc. (My view on this is that there are so many 987s out there that they are clearly not going to be highly sought after collectors cars). I have retained the Bose amp and have had the Kenwood set up to use the steering wheel controls. Most of the driving data mileage, averages etc can still be scrolled through on the central dials so there is absolutely no downside. The upsides are that the unit looks factory fitted and the music and navigation options are brilliant. I'm primarily using Android auto and DAB and I couldn't be more pleased.

Unit, cabling and fitting was £630. I sold the pcm on Ebay for £250 so £380 was the real cost.

Looks good 👍

4 hours ago, xavster said:

Any chance of a photo of your setup dim33? I have PCM and Bose in mine, and my PCM is temperamental - volume control doesn’t always work and it’s rubbish at reading CDs.

8E9E2E39-78C9-4895-B08F-067E51A0CAD4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bravestarr said:

Hi, yes.

The cabling is readily available. Places like Design 911 have the various bits in stock. https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt2592_2611_-cma81-cmo82-ct293/Porsche/Boxster-986-987-981/Boxster-987-32-34L-2005-08-08/Steering-Wheel-Control-Interface/

My installer quoted about £80 for the main cable so Design 911 are making a fair markup.

There are 2 connectors. One has the option to connect to steering wheel controls and the other does not. The design911 link above is the Connects2 product that I linked to earlier and can be found on ebay for less.

My installation is exactly the same as Funk99's above. Same head unit. 

Question for Funk99. Where do you put your phone when using the Kenwood? I used to have mine in the glove box but have recently moved it to attach to the magnetic clip on the left. This way I can run an extra speed camera detector on my phone when on certain roads. It also allows me to get around the annoying 7 tap limit on android auto if need be.

Kenwood_HU

19 minutes ago, dim33 said:

There are 2 connectors. One has the option to connect to steering wheel controls and the other does not. The design911 link above is the Connects2 product that I linked to earlier and can be found on ebay for less.

My installation is exactly the same as Funk99's above. Same head unit. 

Question for Funk99. Where do you put your phone when using the Kenwood? I used to have mine in the glove box but have recently moved it to attach to the magnetic clip on the left. This way I can run an extra speed camera detector on my phone when on certain roads. It also allows me to get around the annoying 7 tap limit on android auto if need be.

Kenwood_HU

3 minutes ago, Funk99 said:

Not sure about that connector. You will need to research it. I don't see that connector dimming the head unit screen when you turn on the lights though.

Also, it is worth noting that you are not bypassing the Bose amp. You will still use it. The box of tricks converts the analogue RCA output from the head unit to optical signals for the Bose amp.

• 1 month later...

I got the Pioneer AVH-Z5100DAB which is excellent. Still haven't managed how to connect it (USB) to run apps such as SatNav but the Media and Phone bits work with Bluetooth.

Will get around to trying to get all the rest working with my Samsung S8 Android Phone when I get a chance.

Seems to be a great Head Unit though.... 

If anyone has any tips about connecting Android to Pioneer Head Units I could really do with some advice about getting SatNav etc. to work...

Good luck,

Best wishes,

20181215_153703_1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Verner, just fitted the Pioneer AVh-Z5100DAB to my 987.1, fitted with Connects2 to keep the Bose amp and have steering wheel controls but, when you put the key in the ignition, dash comes on as normal, Pioneer comes on and then goes of after 30 secs?

If i turn the ignition key, so all dash lights are on, Pioneer comes on and stays on like it should, take key out goes of after 30 secs. 

In the Pioneer manual it mentions swapping over a couple of wires (Red & Yellow) but have tried that and that makes the unit come on go off every 10 secs.

I've checked the Red wire is constant 12V and the yellow wire is switched.

The only thing i haven't done is wire in the hand brake cable, going to do that today.

Just wondered if you had any problems? Apart from that, its excellent, glad i made the change.

Thanks

Haven't had time to try getting Android (Galaxy S8) apps to run on it. Tried for several hours when it was first fitted. Installed all the usual, Android Drive, Panasonic LIve Radio etc. 

All to no avail. Bluetooth Funtionailty/Phone/Music etc. all work fine but cannot get any apps including SatNav etc. to work.

Will try again when I get a chance.

Anyone else have any experience of connecting Android to Panasonic?

Best wishes,

Verner

5 hours ago, Bravestarr said:

Have you tried Android Auto? You need to download it onto your phone. It brings the other apps together and runs them through one interface.

Yeah, tired of installing and uninstalling in a vain attempt to get something to work...even tired a Nokia Work Phone which I also have...all to no avail.

Have you managed to get it working?

Best wishes,

Verner

Hi Verner,

Mine worked straight away. Android auto finds your car head unit and away it goes. It works seamlessly in my other car and hire cars etc too.

Can I suggest that you try Apple carplay (which your headunit also supports). If that doesn't work then it is the headunit at fault.

Cheers,

Kevin

Archived