Back in a 986S after 16 years

highway

So, before the euro, when there was a saving to be made, I bought a new facelift 986 S from our friends on the continent. Kept it nearly two years and broke even. You could do that in the early 00’s with a Boxster. 

Now, almost by accident I’ve bought a near clone of that car. Friend of friend selling 1 owner 986S. 15k miles. FSH and near mint. I had to have it.

Not a massive spec but it has 18’s, full leather, heated seats. Sadly, no BOSE. 

Theres loads of threads about this online but I was hoping for easily digestible concise advice. All I really want is a bit more bass. Well ideally I’d like factory BOSE but I think that’s a bit ambitious. 

Cant find the parts new and used they are very expensive.

i want to keep the oem headunit. What’s the best option for getting more bass and a better sound. A self amplified under seat amp? Which door speakers? How does it all work with the most system?

advice appreciated

6 hours ago, mikefocke said:

Enlighten this Yank. What is the difference between FPSH and FSH in UK speak. (I collect Porsche acronyms.)

FISH = Full Service History

FPSH = Full Porsche Service History.

The latter should mean a full set of service stamps from OPCs.

I don’t think the car will have Most, only late 986 had it with Bose cars from memory 

if oem looks are important to you then I suggest you add a small class d amp (under the seat or in front trunk), add some quality front components in the door and dash, with sound deadening in the doors and add a small under seat sub. 

A relaxed weekends work, change out of £500, will sound a million times better than the Bose system and look stock

From memory I think all facelift cars were most. I always rated Bose in my car when new. For the cost when new it was a value option especially in contrast to buying parts yourself and getting fitted. I’d just like to clarify which underseat sub fits. 

The facelifted cars have MOST and its not an easy thing to work around. I have tried two optical adapters with the goal of continuing to use the Porsche amplifier and loudspeakers  (I only want to change the head with an ipod I/F etc), neither worked (mine if not a Bose system) and in the end Ive concluded that I will have to rip out the Amp and head, together with the MOST connection and replace the lot...just havent got around to doing it.

Keith

Archived