Drop Links problem advice required

Frankp2112

This is a very common issue, the hub being alloy and the drop link being steel, drop link almost welds itself into the hub carrier. 

Both times I had to cut the drop link off leaving the inner nut and bolt through the housing this allowed a socket to be fitted.

i found an impact gun on the remaining inner nut, and lots of heat on the hub carrier and they have always come out. It’s a horrible job. 

Good luck. 

I bought a cheap rattle gun to sort this. Worked a treat. Gave it loads of rattle in both directions and slowly but surely the bolt started to turn and powder made it's way until they were free. It also heated them up from the friction somewhat. This is the one I got.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverstorm-593128-Electric-Impact-Wrench/dp/B014FO4I1I

Mine are pretty much seized solid - I tried to replace them to cure the snooker ball rattle (which I actually cured by replacing the tuning forks instead).

I have new ones in the cupboard ready to go on, so if I decide to have another go, I'm thinking of cutting a nut in half, threading them back on, locking them together.  This would avoid having to cut the drop link off, as at that point you're well and truly committed.

However, seeing as there's no play in the ball joints of the drop links, I think they man remain in the cupboard for the forseeable ;)

Cheers,

Mike.

Archived