Two years have passed...

Happy Days

Ok, so I've had my 718S for two years now, so I thought I'd pop in a report.

Reminder - it's a manual and I have just passed the 18,000 mile mark.

I loved the handling, sound, colour, looks, equipment etc when I first bought it, but hated the auto hold function, the dimming mirrors, the auto stop start and the lack of anywhere to put a phone.

Ok, I'm used to the dimming mirrors now, so they don't bother me, the auto stop start I'm also used to and I normally now drop the phone in between my legs (hate sitting on the phone in case it bends) but I still detest the hold function. We also have a PDK equipped Macan, and the hold function on that works perfectly. I just don't understand why the manual has to be different.

So, two year report. The car has performed faultlessly, with only two small glitches; the first was that the radio gave up the ghost and had to have its software reprogrammed after two weeks. All good since. The second is the rear spoiler which doesn't sit flush with the boot lid. Need to get this looked at. It has been in for its recall for intake grilles and is now indicating a service is due. I'll get that done in January when things quieten down a bit. Still under 20k, so it's just the timer that reminds me each morning. Oh, es, it got a new windscreen after a big stone chip  when I had it for about a month.

Still on the original tyres with about 3mm left on them so they'll need replaced soon too (as will the Macan which has almost 45k on its original all-seasons, which I think is very impressive. My SE has been emailing seeing if I'm ready to order a new one, but I think this might stay with me for a while. (986 for 11+ years!). It's doing late 20s to early 30s normally, and on a long run I can see late 30s. Not bad for a 350bhp car.

Handling is pin sharp, and what a great summer we had to enjoy it! It still looks great, a couple of wee stone chips to annoy me on the front bumper and of course, the rash on the rear arch ahead of the rear wheel. Talking of wheels, they're not holding up too well. I can see a few wee bubbles appearing in the paint. Not good. I need to do a better examination. Off on hols next week, so a good clean and clay will form part of the next inspsection. Always washed using snow foam and a pressure washer, so no swirls in the paint.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it. I just wish I'd specced some of the options that we have on the McCann, but hey ho!

Glass to hear that you are liking your car. 18K in two years; I'm impressed, a vehicle that gets used and not parked in the garage!

My 2012 981s has just covered 45K and the engine is getting better and better! I've always noticed an improvement by 50K in the diesel engined vehicles I've owned but this 3.4 dfi engine is a revelation😃. The best improvement I made to my car was a remap; 10% increase overall, most noticeable improvement in torque. The next was the whole front covered in ppf, what stone chips? Shame I didn't have the rear wheel arch done😠

I've never kept a car this long but I can't see me changing! 

I hope you get many more years of pleasure from yours, another 11+?

One thing I forgot to mention that I really like is the heated steering wheel. Sublime. Oh, and the thumb controls on the wheel are absolutely perfect. Exactly in the right position for me.Gold star for the chap who designed that one.

11 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

One thing I forgot to mention that I really like is the heated steering wheel. Sublime. Oh, and the thumb controls on the wheel are absolutely perfect. Exactly in the right position for me.Gold star for the chap who designed that one.

I couldn't agree more! I also forgot to mention that I changed the standard MF steering wheel for the 718/991.2 MF sports steering wheel in carbon and leather. Really improved the interior aesthetics😃.

Archived