LED replacement interior bulbs & registration plate lights

GmanB

I just wanted to share a little update I've made to Lapis, a 2003 Boxster S.

Basically, I've replaced most of the interior bulbs with LED to freshen it up. I have to say I'm really please with the results. It's a lot brighter and just gives it a more modern ambience. I know it's not for everyone's taste,

Firstly I purchased these cheap LED bulbs: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTERIOR-LED-SMD-Bulbs-Replacement-KIT-WHITE-CANBUS-fit-Porsche-Boxster-986/141091747472?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Manufactured and shipped from China. Firstly the Vanity bulbs were too wide, there's just not enough space for these. To be honest I didn't even know it had lights and thinking about it now, if they had fit, I think they'd probably blind you rendering the mirror useless. Four bulbs wasted (2 on each mirror), but no big deal. 

The dome light was very easy to replace, if I recall correctly there are two torx 20 screws and the dome lifts out and easy access to the bulb retainer. The two door lights again very easy to replace, just wedge a flat head in from rear to front and ease out. Trunk and frunk very easy, but needed to be a little careful with the fragile plastic. I couldn't see where the map bulb sat, but I didn't look too hard as I didn't have a bulb for it. The glove box bulb in the pack wasn't long enough. 

The pack of bulbs also came with LED registration plate replacements, but that didn't go too well. Basically the metal clips that hold the bulb sit inside a plastic slot and it had snapped (I'm amazed they even worked). Being an almost 16 year old car and some what exposed, it seems the plastic has just deteriorated. I managed to get one of them back together and working while I awaiting delivery of a replacement LED unit. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-No-Error-LED-Licence-Number-Plate-Light-911-Carrera-964-993-996-968-986/232618025510?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 again, manufactured and shipped from China. 

Both items arrived in around a week, which for free delivery I think is pretty good. 

So, problems continued with the replacement reg lights. Two fuses later and they are working. I would recommend removing the fuse while you fit these, it's fuse A5 on my 2003 Boxster S, but could be different on other years/models so I recommend checking before removing, it was a 1.5 amp fuse on mine. I think basically there was still a small amount of voltage running even though the lights were off, while getting the inner rubber casing over the seal and connectors it must have caused sparking and just blown the fuse. These are pain in the ar*e to change really, because there aren't any clips on the electrical connections, just a cheaply made poor design.

The fitting/mould of the new lights are perfect really and I'm pretty happy with the result. The only thing I would say is they do project light out from the car a little bit and I think this is because the lip that is supposed to stop this, is transparent . I think some black touch up paint will do the job though after a couple of coats. 

I'd recommend going straight for the LED replacement reg lights and buying the door, trunk, frunk, glove box and dome bulbs separately, it should be cheaper this way. I'll extract the glove box bulb and find a replacement LED soon.

Hope that helps someone. 

I've had the similar looking rear plate LED unit rather than bulb replacement for 5 years or so now. 

10 hours ago, the baron said:

I’d rather my number plate not be that visible, lol, I’ve heard that some LED,s for the number plate can actually shield the number plate from being photographed by speed cameras.

Haha, good shout, one can only hope the speed camera fails to read the plate!

Archived