Ignition Switch

chanlon1

Key started to become difficult to remove from the ignition, so I am hoping it’s the ignition switch that needs renewed. 

Ordered a replacement from ebay. 

From what I’ve read and seen it looks fairly straightforward to do.....ignoring the contortionist position?

Its normally the plastic part/switch on rear of the ignition barrel that causes issues with key removal/turning ignition on/off. If its this your replacing then take the heater vent out & you can get to it easier.

HTH

Ignition plastic switch replaced to cure key sticking June 2016 (1)

3 hours ago, Chris H1AVFC said:

Its normally the plastic part/switch on rear of the ignition barrel that causes issues with key removal/turning ignition on/off. If its this your replacing then take the heater vent out & you can get to it easier.

HTH

Chris, many thanks for that. I couldn't work out how to get myself into the position needed to look at it from underneath.

Next obvious question...removal of the heater vent......straightfroward? Or anything I need to be aware of?

thanks

Ok. I now realise the ignition switch for the 986 and 987 are completely different and massive in price. 

Key at the moment seems to be fine and is coming out of the lock ok. 

The changing of the 987.1 (which I have) is different. 

Prices for the 987.1 part seem to be around £180 and don’t require the keys to be reprogrammed. 

The 986 part is more £12  

Archived