Road and Track 4 Wheel Alignment settings question

Dicky-Art

My 987.1 is set up for track use with -2.5 deg camber front and back with 2mm toe-in.

K&W Clubsport Coilovers, H&R Anti Roll Bar Kit; RSS Adjustable Droplinks; Rennline Rear Subframe Stabilizer; Lowered on 235/40 18 & 265/40 18" Team Dynamics Pro 1.3 with spacers; Quaife Diffs.

The car handles amazingly on road and track but......

I use the car as a daily driver and the tyres are taking severe inner tread wear on the road, about the same front and rear, which isn't surprising!

The question is.... Can a set up be a compromise for road and track?

Question.....If so what?

Cheers

It's a bit of trial and error. I was running close to -2.5 front with parallel toe. Now more like -2.1 front and circa 5' toe. My car was just for the road although not a commuter. 

4 hours ago, Dicky-Art said:

My 987.1 is set up for track use with -2.5 deg camber front and back with 2mm toe-in.

K&W Clubsport Coilovers, H&R Anti Roll Bar Kit; RSS Adjustable Droplinks; Rennline Rear Subframe Stabilizer; Lowered on 235/40 18 & 265/40 18" Team Dynamics Pro 1.3 with spacers; Quaife Diffs.

The car handles amazingly on road and track but......

I use the car as a daily driver and the tyres are taking severe inner tread wear on the road, about the same front and rear, which isn't surprising!

The question is.... Can a set up be a compromise for road and track?

Question.....If so what?

Cheers

Very interesting topic as kind of do the same with mine. Unfortunately/ fortunately I set it up myself 😳.  So can’t do quite such accurate settings but am aiming for the same thing as also use as a daily. I had standard settings and still trashed the inside edges on the rears with just normal spirited road use. I am amazed that you still get wear with that much toe in. I am running about 1.5 -ve camber (I would have to check) front and rear and have just about half a degree of toe in I think f/r So far so good.

However I changed the lower (coffin) arms and think this has made quite a difference to at least the rear wear as think this is mainly down to wheel spin. Unfortunately this time of year I rarely get tyre temps high enough to make them work so can’t really explore the limits.

Have you also changed lower arms/ tuning forks ?

I have not done the tuning forks yet as can’t see how they would effect things but the lower arm bushes allow things to move around a lot if they are worn I guess and mine does seem better having changed them.

18 hours ago, Buzzlt said:

Very interesting topic as kind of do the same with mine. Unfortunately/ fortunately I set it up myself 😳.  So can’t do quite such accurate settings but am aiming for the same thing as also use as a daily. I had standard settings and still trashed the inside edges on the rears with just normal spirited road use. I am amazed that you still get wear with that much toe in. I am running about 1.5 -ve camber (I would have to check) front and rear and have just about half a degree of toe in I think f/r So far so good.

However I changed the lower (coffin) arms and think this has made quite a difference to at least the rear wear as think this is mainly down to wheel spin. Unfortunately this time of year I rarely get tyre temps high enough to make them work so can’t really explore the limits.

Have you also changed lower arms/ tuning forks ?

I have not done the tuning forks yet as can’t see how they would effect things but the lower arm bushes allow things to move around a lot if they are worn I guess and mine does seem better having changed them.

I changed my lower arms about 10 months ago and got the alignment done about 6months later. Might do the tuning forks soon. Tyres show same wear front and back. Done 10k miles.

1765610284_tyrewear.thumb.jpg.bd9b98f357023a318d7f411ba1e3a28b.jpg

Archived