2005 vs 2006 vs 2009 Auto?

mat1

Never was quite sure why my 05 2.7 Tip was so much worse than other cars with the same box I've owned and driven. My guess is it was programmed to give as sporty a feel as possible at all times. Not what I want when town driving. The way the torque converter lock came on early, meaning a lower gear needed than with the TC operating. Perhaps to do with emissions or MPG. Could be the overall gearing was simply too low to give maximum performance on the open road. If that was my main concern I'd have bought a manual. The other really stupid thing was if you accelerated hard on, say, a motorway slip road then eased up at the speed limit, it would stay in a low gear for ages.

Apart from a slight judder when moving off from rest in creeping town traffic, the PDK suits my driving just fine. And the much higher top gear on my S gives far more relaxed cruising at the UK speed limit. And better MPG than the smaller engine.

• 4 weeks later...

An interesting thread and as a new buyer into this brand and also consider myself as a petrol head I decided for the money I wanted to spend the tiptronic was for me.

Most gearboxes today are robotised manuals and are becoming very good and I have had a couple Maserati Cambio Corsa and Ferrari 360 F1.

My daily driver is a Jaguar XF 3.0 diesel and I love the autobox in that.

The only thing I want is proper paddles on the Boxster and I'm going to see if I can retrofit some Italian ones on mine.

I'm a fully skilled tech and ex Maserati and Lotus so up for the challenge.

15 minutes ago, philw696 said:

An interesting thread and as a new buyer into this brand and also consider myself as a petrol head I decided for the money I wanted to spend the tiptronic was for me.

Most gearboxes today are robotised manuals and are becoming very good and I have had a couple Maserati Cambio Corsa and Ferrari 360 F1.

My daily driver is a Jaguar XF 3.0 diesel and I love the autobox in that.

The only thing I want is proper paddles on the Boxster and I'm going to see if I can retrofit some Italian ones on mine.

I'm a fully skilled tech and ex Maserati and Lotus so up for the challenge.

It's pretty easy to retrofit paddles on a Tip as their are already contact closure switches on the steering wheel, so you just need to splice into the wiring. The only issue you would have is if the Italian ones use some sort of Canbus type affair rather than simple contact closure. 

j9lPqKl.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived