987.1 Strange suspension knock

adamcot

Hi all

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a 2006 987 3.4 S, which has developed an odd knocking noise from the front suspension. At normal road speeds, all is well. The knock can be felt only at high speed (motorway + 5 and above), through the chassis. It's definitely related to wheel/road speed rather than engine speed. The symptoms don't match to a normal suspension issue, originally I thought it was a loose cover but all seems tight. I've checked the wheel nuts and all seems well. Before I start taking off parts of the car, has anyone had this issue before?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply’s.

It’s just had new tyres so I don’t think that’s the issue. It sounds more like a piece of body or trim rubbing against and catching a wheel or shaft, not a true ‘knock’ from the suspension. There’s no trim loose or any obvious suspension defects. I’m at a loss with it to be honest!

• 6 months later...

Thought I would add to this, as my 'suspension knock' turned out to be something completely different!

The nut and bolt that hold the battery down had come off. The Nut had fallen off the bottom, so the battery was knocking around a bit. I was convinced it was the front right suspension (I got the noise literally as soon as only the front right wheel hit a bump), but after a complimentary checkover at an OPC I mentioned the noise and the said the suspension was fine, but pointed out the battery.

It took 15 mins to get the battery out, remove the battery tray, superglue a new nut on the bottom (so it doesn't just fall back off) and clean the drain plugs whilst I'm there, and voila no more knocking!

Archived