Bumper Exhaust Heatshield Flakey

MartynH

Hi

One thing that's been bothering me on my 986 S for a few months now is the state of the bumper exhaust heatshield.  The rest of the car is pretty immaculate but this darn bit of trim is letting the side down.  The paint has started to flake off and it looks tatty underneath.

It looks to be riveted to the bumper, so not easy to remove and replace.  Has anyone else got this issue, there is not much discussion when i try to search for it on the 'tinterweb'

Its part number 98650581102

Has anyone sprayed theirs in situ with any success?

Cheers!

I took mine off (987), including snapping a corner which I glued back, sanded it to key it, and sprayed it with high temp paint. Put back with a bit of glue and a single self tapper. Price for a replacement was mad, like 140 or similar. They seemed to come in various shapes.  

My current one sounds in the same condition to yours, got genuine Porsche replacement from eBay which is ready and waiting to go onto my car however it needs to be done with some other paintwork which includes a rear bumper respray. 

Ive looked into it and it would appear that it is riveted onto the bumper. 

4 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

I thought  they were bare metal? Mine definitely is, with a sort of dull greyish finish. Perhaps yours has been painted by a previous owner. 

Nope definitely a painted finish, it's almost a Matt grey/silver colour. Underneath looks like bare metal, I'm guessing yours has probably flaked off already!

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I took mine off (987), including snapping a corner which I glued back, sanded it to key it, and sprayed it with high temp paint. Put back with a bit of glue and a single self tapper. Price for a replacement was mad, like 140 or similar. They seemed to come in various shapes.  

Interesting, might be the best approach to drill out the rivets then reassemble post paint with some stainless nut/bolt combo. 

Agreed replacement cost seemed steep for a little trim piece. 

Archived