Door panel

Adamsky

Guys

got a question about the 981.

my door cards have slightly moved. Very strange, has anyone had this before? 

I've seen pictures of the top section move out on some of the US based groups online, I assume because of the heat from the sun.  They are really easy to remove, just search on youtube and follow the guides, hopefully you can glue them back into position and refit.  Replacements are not cheap.

On 4/23/2019 at 5:11 PM, dannyboyz4 said:

How do you mean "slightly moved"?

So where the top of the door card is (where the window goes down) it looks like they have moved up? Tried posting a picture but it won’t let me

In theory it shouldn't be possible because the panel is held in place by 4 screws, once they are removed you can then lift it up and off.  If its moved while the screws in place then something must be broken.  

On 4/25/2019 at 9:51 PM, daz05 said:

In theory it shouldn't be possible because the panel is held in place by 4 screws, once they are removed you can then lift it up and off.  If its moved while the screws in place then something must be broken.  

Very weird as it’s happened on both my doors...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2019 at 10:57 AM, Adamsky said:

Guys

got a question about the 981.

my door cards have slightly moved. Very strange, has anyone had this before? 

Mine are the same

• 2 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:26 PM, Ninja02 said:

Mine are the same

guys, sorry for late reply on this. It turns out, you need to take the door panel off. Re seal it/glue it. I have used Araldite. Much cheaper than taking it to Porsche for them to use worse adhesive...

4 hours ago, Adamsky said:

guys, sorry for late reply on this. It turns out, you need to take the door panel off. Re seal it/glue it. I have used Araldite. Much cheaper than taking it to Porsche for them to use worse adhesive...

Which part are you having to glue?

On 7/18/2019 at 9:09 PM, daz05 said:

Which part are you having to glue?

So it turns out it’s a bit more than glueing.

first if I statted glueing the leather back to the door card. Very poorly made and disappointing from Porsche, it seems they have stuck the leather to the door panel using a sticky back tape... so that was that sorted.

unfortunately the plastic on the door card is very weak and has been warped by the sun. This would result in a. Brand new door card from Porsche.

i have managed to come up with a way by strengthening the plastic and gradually bringing it back to how it should be. 

If anyone wants the number of the guy that helped me do it I will gladly supply as it’s saved me a fortune. Will post pictures once it’s all done

Just wondering what will have caused this.  Looking at some of the US forums it seems this type of thing was typical in California or Florida.

Was your car kept outside through last summer? Just trying to think how to prevent!

32 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Just wondering what will have caused this.  Looking at some of the US forums it seems this type of thing was typical in California or Florida.

Was your car kept outside through last summer? Just trying to think how to prevent!

Hi grenman,

general consensus is that the heat has done this. It was kept outside and under a cover but not covered all the time. 

The sticky back tape peels very easy in the heat

Yes I suspected it was a heat issue, I wonder if all cars are susceptible or whether there were some dodgy glue/tape batches? I imagine they use a similar tequnique accross the models so you might expect similar issues in 911s, and more than likely in the Macan/Cayenne/Panamera.

2 hours ago, Greenman said:

Yes I suspected it was a heat issue, I wonder if all cars are susceptible or whether there were some dodgy glue/tape batches? I imagine they use a similar tequnique accross the models so you might expect similar issues in 911s, and more than likely in the Macan/Cayenne/Panamera.

I’ve seen a cayman do it. I think it’s not exactly brilliant that a brand like Porsche uses double sided tape... lol 

Archived