MOT - "Play in steering rack inner joint(s)"

jagrs

Hi All,

Just had my Boxster MOT'd today and it passed but had a couple of advisories and one I am unsure about.

Obvious ones first:

1x Number plate bulb out - typical as I checked them last night and both were working

1x Rear passenger tyre has a few light cracks, tyres under 4 years old 

The odd one was this:

"Play in steering rack inner joint(s)"

I asked the tester and he said nothing to worry about but it's an advisory...any ideas?

Also emissions annoy me as my car said:

CO - 0.0%

HC - 1ppm

Lambda - 1.004

If we are taxed on emissions I should be paying much less.

I had play in one of my inner steering rack arms, nothing to worry about but they will start to knock and the steering isn’t as precise. About £40 each for the parts plus labour and a 4 wheel alignment 👍

2 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I had play in one of my inner steering rack arms, nothing to worry about but they will start to knock and the steering isn’t as precise. About £40 each for the parts plus labour and a 4 wheel alignment 👍

Thanks that cheers me up as I have no knocking as of yet and steering feels great.

Will keep an eye out for symptoms.

15 hours ago, jagrs said:

Hi All,

Just had my Boxster MOT'd today and it passed but had a couple of advisories and one I am unsure about.

Obvious ones first:

1x Number plate bulb out - typical as I checked them last night and both were working

1x Rear passenger tyre has a few light cracks, tyres under 4 years old 

The odd one was this:

"Play in steering rack inner joint(s)"

I asked the tester and he said nothing to worry about but it's an advisory...any ideas?

Also emissions annoy me as my car said:

CO - 0.0%

HC - 1ppm

Lambda - 1.004

If we are taxed on emissions I should be paying much less.

In the UK, the VED is based on CO2 output. Not measured at the MOT. Harmful emissions - that can damage the lungs, etc, a different matter.

Archived