Boot micro switch

Chuckie66

Alarm went off last night, narrowed down the cause to the rear boot lid closed sensor. I plan to clean it up etc. How do you get to the sensor?

Presumably its part of the lock, but how do you get the black plastic cover off - is it just pull up or pull towards to the fron of the car? its jammed on and don't want to break anything... 

The black plastic trim literally pulls off, its not an easy one, i removed mine to also get to that dreaded microswitch as the boot light has stopped working on mine (bulb checked, all fine, so turned to the microswitch). 

there's two clips that are securing the black trim in place, i found that by using my fingers down the side and one firm pull it literally pops off. getting to the microswitch is another issue however as the power cable routes down below the carpet trim and is a fiddle to remove. Hopefully its as simple as cleaning, that's easy to do and wont require digging away to unplug it, i believe the tailgate unit is held on with 2 torx screws, comes off easy. 

i tried to get a replacement microswitch and they cant be sourced by themselves, even called up porsche, have to buy the entire boot lock unit for around 150! can easily be had for around 30£ for second hand ones online, good luck!

Yes the odd occasional "rear lid not closed" when driving, initially caused by me I think being a bit clumsy on the key unlock, seems now to be unrelated to my key fumbles and kinda random, even when not driving.

"here's two clips that are securing the black trim in place,  i found that by using my fingers down the side and one firm pull it literally pops off" . - which direction to pull? Up or towards the seats?

Hopefully a clean should do the trick. If is the part shared with the 986? 

thanks

Thanks Wander627!! Several previous attempts I'd given up pulling the trim - it always ends in disaster with broken clips when i pull things.... The picture saved me and it eventually came off, still it drew blood, but could've been a lot worse!

Interesting as, I undid the catch, held in by 2 bolts, I noticed one side was higher than the other. Possibly the latch didn't quite have enough movement to keep the micro switch closed(?). Anyway cleaned up the micro switch, put it all back with latch as high up as possible and reset the stop points on the boot lid and so far so good - no alarms in the middle of the night or whilst driving.

Archived