Advice please

Andy9376

I have a manual 2005 987 with 100k miles. Recently it feels a bit juddery at low revs occasionally, and equally occasionally the car seems to very quickly slow the expected pace of acceleration and then goes back to normal. Both are intermittent issues. 

I’ve also 2-3 times heard a knocking from the right rear side when I’m turning. On the last occasion it was really bad, but has driven fine since. 

I’ve assumed these are two separate issues, with the latter being suspension issues. I was told in a recent ish service that it’s spongey. 

I’m now worried it could be an IMS problem. Any views on this theory or what could be  causing the two prevalent? 

Many thanks in advance.

The acceleration issue I would suspect could be a MAF (intake airflow sensor) as they can cause flat spots or throttle response issues.

Knocking could be a shock on it’s way out or a bush/joint failing that only presents a noise under certain loads or corners. 

1 minute ago, Jason986S said:

The acceleration issue I would suspect could be a MAF (intake airflow sensor) as they can cause flat spots or throttle response issues.

Knocking could be a shock on it’s way out or a bush/joint failing that only presents a noise under certain loads or corners. 

They were my early thoughts. The IMS issue spooked me, especially as the car just seems to fall in the danger age range. I believe they only got improved from late 2005 models and mine was an early 05.

My 3.2 987 is a July 2005 and has the larger safer IMS. I would just ignore the IMS unless you have a clutch change, then have it considered for upgrade if necessary. I would suggest your car has a couple of minor niggles than wont cause the car to explode, but can be addressed in reasonable due course

3 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

My 3.2 987 is a July 20015 and has the larger safer IMS. I would just ignore the IMS unless you have a clutch change, then have it considered for upgrade if necessary. I would suggest your car has a couple of minor niggles than wont cause the car to explode, but can be addressed in reasonable due course

Thanks a lot Jason. Will get it looked at and I drop the car at their house so they can drive it to their workshop.

Archived